Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Fishing in Foul Weather

I have never been one to shy away from fishing, regardless of the weather. That means I will brave rain, cold, hail, lightning, high winds, and snow, even minor flooding, just in case there is a hungry fish willing to take a fly.

This, however, does not mean that I don't have a respect for dangerous weather. As a storm photographer I am used to going head to head with weather most run from. I never shy away from a good storm.

I could go on and on about my close encounters with bad weather while fishing, but I'll just give some of the best anecdotes.

A few years ago my good friend and I fished a day that the Storm Prediction Center had given a 'slight risk'. That is to say that severe storms are probable, but there is a minimal chance of tornadoes, damaging hail, and severe wind. I knew storms would fire, but I did not anticipate being chased all over the state by a cell that eventually dropped hail on us. Afterwards, with tons of runoff in the pond we found ourselves at, we got into some great catfish and bass.

The same year we found ourselves in hypothermic weather fishing for bass in a big lake. We ended up soaked and cold, but with a lot of huge bass. They go mad under those conditions, and we even managed to move a fish that would have gone 15lbs! That fish was actually startling.

A large bass caught just before a storm

This sucker chased us off the river.

Ominous thunderheads signal the end of a good day of brown trout.

2 comments: