Friday, March 6, 2015

March

Last year the first day I fished in March was the 26th. I think, or rather just hope to god, that this year I will be able to fish and actually catch well before then. But who knows. If the snow melts quickly it will make a huge mess out of the river. Dangerous ice dams and associated flooding are a legitimate concern. I wish luck to anyone who live next to a stream more then a couple feet wide. If there is a blowout, the streams will also come down fast and be in good condition in a week or two. Also possible, the snow could melt slowly and the conditions could remain just on the border of optimal. Third option, light occasional rain could lead to rough conditions on the river until April. Personally I'm hoping for a quick blowout after some heavy rains just to get rid of all the snow, but there is very little chance of that this coming week. Honestly I think we still have a bit of waiting left here before even the small streams are fisheable and hikeable here in CT. In the meantime I'll be casting the eight weight in the front yard.

6 comments:

  1. RM
    I feel for you guys, hope you make it out on the water soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the slow melt would be good for the streams because it will provide cold water through spring. It just hurts angling opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regardless of the length of time it takes to melt the snow there is going to be more cold runoff for longer than in most years. It is rainfall levels that will really tell whether the streams stay cool over the warmest part of the year. Hopefully it will be very rainy this year!

      Delete
  3. I think we are in for a quick melt here.. The streams are cloudy and are going to get the melt this week.
    I am glad the temps are coming up.
    We will all be fishing soon.
    Tie, write and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,
      I'm sure if I could see any water it would be cloudy.

      Delete