Thursday, May 28, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson, Empathy, and Fish Talk





I often talk to the fish I catch. I say thank you, I tell them to stay safe, and I bid them a good life. Fish don't have ears, and they don't hear in the sense that we do. Rather, they pick up vibrations through the lateral line. Exactly what goes on when I speak to these fish is not known to me, but it is my best attempt to heal wounds I have created in that fish. After being hooked in the jaw and after a desperate fight, a fishes instinct is that it is fighting for it's life. I don't know any way to have a  personal experience with a fish that will not cause such stress, but I do feel for them. I don't think my voice is as comforting as I want it to be, but deep down I know I need to talk to the fish. Not for them, for me.

4 comments:

  1. For this same reason I talk to the turkey's or deer I kill. Interacting with a wild animal/fish is a substantial responsibility...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Native Americans did the same thing, and even if it isn't aloud, any catch and kill fisherman or hunter of sound mind should.

      Delete
  2. Nothing wrong with talking to all critters. We are all here on one earth together and we all should work together to be in harmony. If anyone is around me when I'm out there they would have me committed. The deer enjoy my talking, I can tell by thier body language.
    Tie, fish, write and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I do the same. If I talk calmly and quietly and take a submissive stance I can often get a buck to stop snorting and stamping and even, at times, to go back about it's business and ignore me.

      Delete