Monday, June 8, 2015

Windy!

It was really windy today on the lake. Sometimes that leads to exceptional walleye fishing. Today wasn't good in that sense, but I got three species to take a clouser. The smallmouth were smacking the fly as it got caught in swells, reminding me of watching bluefish attacking bait right at the beach. The best part was while wade fishing  the sandbars because the fish usually followed the fly right to me. Non were very big. Every one, actually, was about the size of the one pictured here. I haven't found any of those big monster smallmouth yet this year. On calmer days when I can safely kayak I will probably be able to find some willing to nail a popper. 








6 comments:

  1. That was a good trip. The ducklings know to stay on land or they will be a meal for pike. Nice catches.
    Tie, fish, write and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      They don't have to worry about pike in this lake, there are none. But a big bass or pickerel would be happy to eat a duckling.

      Delete
  2. Glad you were still able to fish in spite of the wind. I went golfing yesterday and the wind was a big problem especially when in my face, so I can't imagine what it must've been like casting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A cast perpendicular to the wind was near impossible, but a strong double haul with an 8 weight isn't to hard to beat the wind if you are casting into it.

      Delete
  3. great job on those 3 different fish young man!

    ReplyDelete