Sunday, August 2, 2015

Eating Dirt and Breaking Graphite

I went out to streamer fish today, mainly because I've been missing that sort of activity. I should have just waited for the impending nocturnal visit to the Farmington. The water was painfully low but still cold enough to keep the trout happy. I covered a lot of water and did catch some fish.
I got one smallmouth on Galloup's Boogy Man, a pair of brookies on Steve Coulten's Deep Threat, and a leopard spotted brown and a brooky on an olive woolly bugger.
But there was one event that made the rest of the day less good. I went to step down a clay embankment, very carefully placing my first step on a flat gravelly step, then less carefully jumping down to what looked like flat ground with plenty of grip. Under a layer of sand and dry mud was slippery clay, and my feet shot out from under me and I slammed my knee on a rock and my chin in the gravel. My head spun and I looked down to see the mud on my knee turning red as it mixed with blood. But it wasn't until five minutes after I got myself back up that I realized my rod tip was broken in four places. That made things just so much worse. To unimprove things more, on the way home I got brief headaches accompanied by dizziness and exhaustion, so I must have been concussed.  

So I'll be using a borrowed rod all week, I'll need to spend money I don't want to spend on a new rod, and I lost a lot of fishing time. What a crappy day.




14 comments:

  1. Man that's a bad happening. Rods can be replaced. Hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you,
      I am healthy, though a bit bruised.

      Delete
  2. RM
    Two suggestions I will make before I commit on the trout---first I know this may sound old to you but have you thought about a wading staff, sorry for the fall, second I assume your fly rod didn't have a lifetime warranty???
    Now for the commit--You did an outstanding job landing a variety of fish on the Farmington. That Leopard Spotted Brown is awesome and unusual. The Farmington must be tough to fish this time of the year. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill,
      A wading staff wouldn't have helped in this circumstance, but there are a few cases where one may have saved my bacon. Unfortunately that rod didn't have a warranty.
      That was a pretty fish, but this was the local Salmon River, not the Farmington. I'll be up there later this week.

      Delete
  3. Forget about fishing, go see a doctor if you think it could be a concussion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your concern,
      With the water and Ice the headache went down. I think my brain was just jostled a little bit.

      Delete
  4. That's unfortunate about the rod...assuming it was the 8 weight as you were throwing big streamers? I guess that takes you out of the carp game too for a little while, so it's panfish and blue lines in the meantime, which I'm sure you're fine with. How's the head? That is a good looking brookie who had some decent coloring and almost could've passed for a wild if it wasn't for the huge chunk of gill plate missing...too bad for such a good looking fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, as I'm borrowing a 6 wgt. I'll be back on the carp tomorrow.
      The ol' head is doing fine, thanks for asking.

      Delete
  5. RM
    I am looking forward to the report on the Farmington, as I have told you that is my favorite in the Northeast. I wish I was there to make the trip with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe someday. It is a wonderful river.

      Delete
  6. Blood and a head bang, not good. You only get one body to take you fishing, take care! That trout was a beauty. I know you will be fishing even if you have to use a stick and tipit. Don't assume anything before you step.
    Tie, fish, write and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You all worry about me too much. I'm still young and my bones can take a bit of a beating. But yes, I do try to be careful.

      Delete
  7. So sorry to hear about the accident and concussion. Sending to you my best thoughts and good energy....

    ReplyDelete