Monday, October 19, 2015

Still Water Post-Freeze

Last night was the first freeze the season. And on Sunday some ice crystals floated out of the sky. Today, after suffering through school, I went to fish a pond that I haven't visited yet this year. It is a trout pond, and sure enough I could see some risers methodically working on caddis in the middle of the lake. But one of the unique parts about this pond is it's ability to grow some BIG redfin pickerel. when I was 13 I caught a redfin in here that was about 13 inches long. For that species that is massive. Today I moved a couple in the weeds, but most of the big ones spooked and the pads and leaves made it very hard to get a good presentation. I promise that I will spend more time here looking for some of those, I have become increasingly fascinated by the Esox family and the grass pickerel subspecies specifically.

2 comments:

  1. Love those redfins. thanks for the trip in the color.
    Tie, fish, write and photo on...

    ReplyDelete