Thursday, October 1, 2015

Wader Testing and Brook Trout

I had to wait longer than I wanted to go fishing this evening. The reason came around 3:15: a large box with "Cabelas" printed on it's side. In no time I was standing in a local brook trout stream testing out my new pair of waders. They'll do perfectly! I like the camouflage too, any extra measures to hide from the brookies are helpful. Even better, I don't need to stand on the bank in the winter now, which is great because the most cold water almost always requires wading. The West Branch of the Farmington, for example, is freezing even in the summer, and standing on the bank is likely to make ones experience less enjoyable than it would be if you were able to be in the water with room for backcasting.



I spent most of the evening using the Horneburg and my ow streamer pattern, the Pine Special. I was hoping that the improved stream conditions would lead to better streamer fishing, but this was not the case. I got a few bumps and taps and had one fish on briefly, but landed none.

The good thing is that both of the streams I fished seem to have survived the drought adequately. The upper section of the first seems to have lost most of it's bigger fish, but there were plenty of fingerlings there. At the very end of my trip I caught two gorgeous brookies farther down the stream where there was more water, so I'm sure the population will return to normal in a couple of years. The second stream still has some monster brookies in it, but as is often the case it was very tough fishing.


As for the two fish that I did get, they eagerly chomped on a March Brown. I took a less than perfect photo of the first, then decided just to admire the second and didn't take a photo of him at all. But I can tell you he was a beaut, and one that I have caught before in that pool. He has a very interesting pattern on his side, almost like a tiger trout bit with the blue spots and red halos still visible. His mouth is turning blue now and a hump is forming on his back... and in a few weeks time I'm sure there will be a redd in the riffle at the top of this pool where he will wait patiently for the female to lay her eggs.

These berries will remain the same color even when the snow begins to fly.

7 comments:

  1. Nice waders. The need for them is approaching.
    Nice photo of the St. Croix with the streamer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you,
      I'm not looking forward to it, but it appears you are right.

      Delete
  2. Glad to see you have new boots to get you through the Fall fishing. You will have water in the creeks now! That trout is a beauty.
    Tie, fish, write and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They went up but are now low again, at least lower than I like them to be.

      Delete
  3. Finally able to comment!!! What better post to respond to than this one about the new waders and returning streams. So happy to see. Just hope those waders are thermal enough to take the very cold water that coming. Keep warm. Stay safe and hopefully dry. Your pictures are beautiful, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,
      I'm a big boy, I think I can handle the cold.

      Delete
  4. Glad to see Cabelas delivers when they promise to -- the pix shows that you made an excellent choice. Wear them and wade in good health.
    - G. .

    ReplyDelete