Thursday, December 10, 2015

Streamer Technique for CT PART 2

Fall

Autumn is the time of aggression for big brown trout. The spawn makes them excited. This is THE TIME to fish the really big flies in the Housatonic and Farmington rivers. It is also a good time to hunt for large fall stocked trout in the Salmon, Willimantic, and other TMAs. The technique I prefer for the early fall streamer fishing is no different from my bank pounding methods I use all summer. I tend to fish more quickly in early fall, gradually slowing down as the water cools. Interestingly, I have found that this technique works better for stocked trout than do woolly buggers on the swing after they have seen a bit of pressure. In the Salmon light weight flies with a lot of motion work very well in October. Moving into November, start using heavier flies, fish them slower, and switch retrieve methods more frequently. Swinging single hooked flies works far better in the fall than in the summer.

Jigging is a valuable method come late November and December. Cool water temperatures push fish into slower feeding. I fish heavy flies like the Snot Goblin and the Peanut Envy, upstream, lifting the rod a foot to manipulate the fly and stripping in the slack. This is more likely to draw a strike than a quick, erratic retrieve once the water dips bellow 40 degrees. A full sinking line is helpful to keep contact with the fly while jigging.




6 comments:

  1. Great post. I was just asked about bass fishing cypress lakes and provided the same tip. Only down side is snagging cypress knees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,
      I actually developed this technique for fishing for lethargic big bass, and figured out accidentally that it works equally well for chilled trout.

      Delete
  2. Nice ties, fish and technique! Hope to do it with you some time. Those ties are so perfect. I can just feel a fish hit that tie, Yea...
    Tie, fish, write and photo on...

    ReplyDelete

  3. I use the same set up I described in Part 1, although I change to a sinking tip line at this time of the year to get down into the deeper holes where they winter over. Also slow down the retrieve!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah they need some time to get the fly in their mouths.

      Delete