Wednesday, September 21, 2016

A Small Stream in Good Condition

We were looking for a hiking spot yesterday in an area that has a good number of wild trout streams, and I suggested we check out one that has some lovely trails along it. I hadn't been to it since this winter when I visited it with Kirk and Alan and caught some lovely brook trout. I was worried it was going to be bone dry. Not only was it flowing nicely, there was a strong "ant hatch" on and the brook trout were chowing down on millions of little red flying ants. Although I got a few brookies to come up for a small foam beetle none were hooked. 





In a downstream section I did catch a few fish, although they were not the species I was hoping for. Fallies are fun though. They had nothing but ants in their mouths, the first thing I noticed when I caught one was that it actually SMELLED like ants.


4 comments:

  1. That is good to see. Mark and I were talking about the stream just the other day. I know in the past it has fare well in times of adverse conditions.
    PS that's my home water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good that your home water is in such good shape, mine has gone to shit!

      Delete
  2. Just enough water for them to survive. They do love the ant hatch.
    Tie, fish, write and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately these are resilient fish, they can handle worse than this.

      Delete