Monday, September 26, 2016

The Future

I've been feeling the pressure lately. I'm not a kid any more; I can't just fish all the time. My life goals have changed since I was five. I've wanted to be a train engineer, a meteorologist, and a professor of mineralogy. The last two would probably have been great professions and with my drive I would have made it there. But then fishing came along and I knew that I found what I am best at. So it became my goal to become a career fly fisherman. I'm going to do anything and everything in the field: fly tying, guiding, writing, photography... I know it won't make me rich but that doesn't matter. That doesn't mean I'll be fishing every day. I will however be doing fishing related things with fisherman and often in very fishy places. That means that there will almost always be material to be featured on this blog, and I will keep the nearly daily posts going as long a people keep reading.

I won't be able to become a career fly fisherman by staying in CT though. Next year, if all goes as planned, I am moving west. Montana, specifically. I should be working for an outfitter or fly shop, learning the waters and preparing for about 10 years of guiding. Then who knows what.

Will the name of this blog change when I leave Connecticut? No, it will not. I will be coming back here periodically. And besides, no other place I've been molded and formed into the angler that I am by fishing in Connecticut waters. This blog will continue, and its name will not change. I hope you all keep reading.

15 comments:

  1. Kudos to you R.M.! You're a real inspiration and an amazing talent.

    Have fished a bit in Montana, as we have family in Bozeman. You might want to consider that area? With the university there, it is a very lively, young and fun scene. You're also so close to so many rivers: the Gallatin, Madison, E. Gallatin, etc. Quite a few fly shops.

    However, for a super hard-core experience, check out the wading area of the Upper Madison. The Slide Inn there is an amazing fly shop. You already tie some of Kelly Galloup's flies. There's not much out there other than fly fishing, but to work at The Slide Inn would be a pretty amazing experience, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Madison and surrounding area is at the top of my list.

      Delete
  2. I know it won't make me rich but that doesn't matter.

    Rowan you seek what you love, and your wealth will be great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've come to understand that is what is most important.

      Delete
  3. What you say is right - I, myself have wondered how to make a run at a fly fishing career in the East, but it's just too difficut. Montana is the way to go.

    I've spent quick a few years going to Montana for summer fishing trips. Like 'Blog FlyFish MA' points out, the Bozeman/West Yellowstone area probably has five lifetimes of rivers to be fished - all with wild trout year-round. In my humble opinion, there are a lot of tourist-aimed fly shops in the area. If you want to connect yourself with one that is hardcore angler focused, I'd highly recommend Blue Ribbon Flies - home of Craig Mathews, the X Caddis and other patterns.

    Are you going to school out there or just looking to guide? Regardless, good luck and keep the posts coming. I look forward to living vicariously through you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your on the right track. Your intelligence, persistence and drive will get you their. You will make a great guide. Doing what we love is our destiny.
    Tie, fish, write and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It will be exciting to see those adventures as well RM. Wealth is more than cash. Sure, you need some of the latter... But with your love of all things fishing, you can find the financial part within what you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In some careers it helps to be a bit of a polymath and fishing is one of those careers. Since, as you say, I'm into all things fishing, I should be all set!

      Delete
  6. Rowan- Go for it!! I am sure you will be successful! Do it while you are young, follow your dreams and have no regrets!! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Had to look up polymath not a word I have heard from any Montana guides. I have been fishing Montana for 30 years and would be happy to show you some spots if you are out in July. Blue Ribbon is a great fly shop -good place to work and learn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One is only young once, and I commend you for pursuing what you love to do. As they say, "you'll never work a day in your life if you love what you do." Go for it, RM, and my very best wishes to you. Best, Sam

    ReplyDelete