Saturday, November 19, 2016

A Morning Skunk, A Quick Hick, and Stellar Dry Fly Fishing


I'm very stubborn. As long as decent reports are coming in from Long Island sound, I'm going to be trying to get out after that one last striper. This morning I fished the lower Connecticut River and there was radio silence. Nobody home. No bait, no bass. Later in the day my father, brother and I went out looking for hickory shad, and we found one. This one:



I suspect the super moon flood tide has something to do with the rather boring salt water fishing lately. 

When we got back from the short outing I decided to go to a pond where the bluegills seem to eat dry flies any time the surface is not mostly frozen. With 7x and assorted midge patterns, I had a tremendous amount of fun. There are certain times of year when I particularly enjoy fishing for 'gills and this is one of them.






4 comments:

  1. You had a great day weather wise to enjoy. The tug is the drug!!! Nice going with the dries and bluegills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, probably the last truly warm day here of the year... though you never know in these parts!

      Delete
  2. Well done Rowan! What I wouldn't give to hook up with some large bluegills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time I get out I'll catch a few extra for you!
      ;)

      Delete