Sunday, August 27, 2017

A Tough One

This post is coming at you pretty late in the day despite the fact that I fished pretty early and had all the time in the world to write it today. I'm rather conflicted. I had some good fish and fortune today, all was well and comfortable in my little world. But I am having a hard time feeling comfortable. You see, I was got into meteorology way before I ever touched a fly rod. That's how I got into photography, actually. I'm storm obsessed. When everyone else was running to get inside I was bracing myself against the wind and waiting till that crucial last second in the hopes that I could capture a snapshot at mother nature at her worst. Right now, it seems as though mother nature is doing her absolute worst to the good people of Texas and Louisiana. This is the only storm in my memory that I can truly say I'd prefer to stay as far away from as possible. Many of you may not realize it, but this storm is unprecedented. This is no Sandy, no Andrew, not event Katrina... this storm is a whole new evil and my heart hurts for all those in the clutches of one of the deadliest storms since forecasting began. Today people were forced to take refuge on their roofs in Texas, nowhere to go unless rescued, while at the same time the tornadic spin ups in the storm's bands trained over the same paths all day. I read the text of the warnings this afternoon.

Warning issued at 341 CDT for Fort Bend, Harris, and Waller...TAKE COVER NOW! Move to a basement or an interior room on the lowest floor of a sturdy building. Avoid windows. If you are outdoors, in a mobile home, or in a vehicle, move to the closest substantial shelter and protect yourself from flying debris.   

What are you supposed to do when your house is flooded to the 1st floor ceiling, there's 40 more inches of rain on the way, and there's a tornado coming that's completely hidden behind sheets of rain and fog?

This storm won't be over for days. It could potentially return to the Gulf and reattain hurricane status only to make landfall again and continue where it left off... this is a truly disgusting storm in every way. 

So, although I had some great fishing today, I'm not going to talk about it at length. I'll leave you with the photos, because we all need to enjoy things like this in life. It could end in a day or it could end years from now. And, though I am not a religious man, if there is someone up there... please have mercy on the good people of Texas and Louisiana. 












11 comments:

  1. Rowan
    Amen. Some very nice looking browns and brookies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. RML -- Stormy weather serves to remind me of the many times you have mentioned the power and majesty of Nature since you were a wee lad. Your thoughtful essay today shows even greater understanding and compassion. If only our country's leaders share the same concern and shoulder their responsibilities for our environment. Our close brush with Hurricane Matthew last year was a strong reminder -- wind, water and fire rule Earth -- mankind, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rowan
    Beautiful area you were fishing there---really dark colors on those brookies ---thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't caught a whole lot of brookies out of either stream I fished that day so that one dark little guy was a pleasure to bump into.

      Delete
  4. Well said Rowan, and our hearts go out to those who are trying to keep their lives together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nicely put. I'm glad you aren't out in this storm either, but instead enjoying local wildlife and sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice going for your priorities Rowan. My best to you.

    ReplyDelete