Monday, February 26, 2018

Sculpin Bouncing, and a Legend of the Sport


Saturday was the last Mike and I had a significant chunk of time to devote to fishing on this trip. First off we checked some possible options in Bellefonte, which we didn't fish. It was pretty clear that going back to the areas we'd already fished was the best option so that's what we did. I quickly caught two of the trout tailing in the grass on a cress bug, then switched over to an olive sculpin.



I quickly caught a third brown of about the same size on the sculpin, then missed three others. Thankfully I didn't miss the next grab. I twitched the fly as tight as I could to the bank and an unseen trout ate the fly and left a large surface boil. I lifted to set the hook and the fish, a good sized brown, cleared the water in two spectacular somersaults. Righted itself after the second and tore off dowstream. I got it into some slack water at the last moment before it cleared a logjam I wouldn't have bee able to get around. This ended up being the best fish of the trip, a very healthy and mean looking buck. A proper spring creek sculpin eater.



I continued one, excited to be on a fairly fast paced streamer bite and hoping to break into the double digits.


The fish below was a bit of a surprise. Mike caught two of them and I caught one and lost one. What they were doing in Spring Creek I have no clue.



Eventually I jinxed myself by saying I wanted to get at least ten trout out loud to Mike, and after I caught my ninth one I went on a string of fish missed and hooked and lost. Never do that kind of thing folks, It can put an end to a string of good fortune!


 Mid afternoon the rain become steady and we called to to get some rest and clean up for the evening event, a benefit dinner for the PA Fly Fishing Museum. Joe Humphreys was the guest of honor, with his student and one of the best fly anglers in the world, George Daniel, making a speech in his behalf. Greg Hoover made a very entertaining and informative presentation on the little blue-winged olive dun hatch.

I have been to a lot of shows, been around some really influential figures in the fly fishing community, many of which I have learned a lot from and look up to. But on this night I got to meet the legend himself, an angler and teacher who I owe a huge amount of my trout fishing success to. Joe is indomitable. Mike has known Joe for years, they are close friend.  Hopefully I will get to share a piece of water with him soon.


6 comments:

  1. How great to meet someone you hold in such high regard and I'm sure he was happy to meet you too. Except for the rain it looks like you had a good trip. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.
      The rain added to the trip, rather than detracting. it let us see things that don't happen a whole lot.

      Delete
  2. Man, what a great trip topped off with meeting Joe Humphreys. I am convinced you can catch trout most anywhere. It's getting to the point when I am in the midst of a skunking I say to myself, what would RM do here? Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a compliment I probably don't deserve.

      Delete
  3. Rowan
    Awesome trip, photos of some real solid browns. Meeting Joe Humphreys-priceless!

    ReplyDelete