Saturday, August 18, 2018

Reef Stripers

Late summer is an interesting time to fly fish for stripers. It can be a very frustrating time for shore bound anglers in many areas in Southern New England. Much of the reason for this is the temperature of near shore waters. The shallow marshes and flats can get downright hot. I mean bathwater warm, and striped bass don't like that. Lots of stripers will congregate on reefs and around islands in August, including large fish. When the conditions are right and the tide flushes bait over the reefs, stripers go into a feeding frenzy. If you have a boat and know what you're doing, this ca be one of the best times of year to get good striped bass on the fly. On Thursday my good friend Mark Philippe got into some nice fish. When he sent me a photo of a 32 inch bass that morning and asked if I wanted to go the next morning, I didn't have to do much thinking. I was in.

Mark and Myron picked me up just after 3:30a.m. I had been out late the night before fishing, catching fluke and porgies but none of the fish I was really looking for, and I got less than three hours of sleep. But the potential for this to be a great morning out on the reefs kept me awake and excited.

We had to get out early because this fishing is no secret. Even on a weekday when the bite is on you are likely to be out there with a bunch of other boats, many of them also fly casting. Through the haze we traveled and were lucky to get on the reef before anyone else. It took no time at all for stripers to make their presence known. We all quickly hooked up. Mark and I started with poppers, and had a bunch of fish blasting our flies out of the water.




On one of our last few drifts over a real sweet spot before it became to risky to drift and too crowded Mark hooked up with a big fish that broke him off by diving into the rocks. This is a common tactic of bigger, smarter bass anywhere there are rocks. This makes strong tackle and tough fish fighting skills mandatory if you don't want to loose flies and every strong bass you hook. But no matter how you play them some fish are just going to bury you.


We slid over to a little slot where fish were working as batches of bait pushed through. One drift it would be butterfish. The next it would be small squid. three drifts later it would be peanut bunker. But each drift, if the fish were up, I was getting them to take a large white Hollow Fleye. I think by that time Myron was using a squid and was getting plenty of takes on it, and Mark had switched back to a popper and got more fish up on that.





On one of the last five good drifts we got I had a very big bass take the Hollow just inside the rough water (reef rips have a smooth side and a rough side). She showed herself very clearly, it was a big fish, likely would have been my biggest. I say would because I didn't even start fighting her. She was there and gone in exactly the time it took me to totally blow the hookset. I cannot hook big stripers to save my life and it is killing me. If I hooked half the number of bass over 40 inches I've had take in the last three years I'd have a consistent string of big fly caught fish. But every time I blow it. Nerves get to me and I do the wrong thing. I need to break that barrier and get just one 20lb bass. It is killing me, very slowly.


Big missed fish aside, we had a great morning. For me this was a view into what was typical when the fishery was better. I can never thank Mark enough for giving me the opportunity to experience more these things. Striped bass have become what I live for and any time I get a to look through a window into their life I feel blessed. They are amazing animals. And we are might loose them if we stay on the path we are following.

If you enjoy what I'm doing here, please share and comment. It is increasingly difficult to maintain this blog under dwindling readership. What best keeps me going so is knowing that I am engaging people and getting them interested in different aspects of fly fishing, the natural world, and art. Follow, like on Facebook, share wherever, comment wherever. Every little bit is appreciated! 
Thanks for joining the adventure, and tight lines. 

23 comments:

  1. Good stuff buddy, you know I read every post.
    Great to see white hollow fleye working its magic.
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John,
      I'm hoping to see a big ol' bass or blue on one of the ones I sent you!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful adventure even though you had to be running on adrenaline with only 3 hours of sleep. Appreciate that you have such thoughtful friends who enjoy your knowledge and skill. Keep enjoying and sharing your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My best adventures are had when I'm in at 11:00 and up at 3:00 and it takes a little more than coffee to get me to the water.

      Delete
  3. Your craft and incredible fascination of nature gives us great insight into our environment.
    The details of catching all these critters is very important. Thanks for the adventure.
    Tie, fish, write, conserve and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i too read every post- great stuff on champlain.
    keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      For me, Champlain was a banner trip.

      Delete
  5. Your blog is fantastic, I probably check it three times a day. When the winter comes and I am jonesing to fish, I will probably read the entire thing from 2103 forward. You write well. Keep doing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      If I'm honest. You've got your work cut out for you there, There's enough words in there for a few long novels! There was a time when quantity over quality was my mantra.

      Delete
  6. I subscribe via feedly.This is the best fishing blog out there.It is amazing how often you go fishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      I have the time and the motivation.

      Delete
  7. This looks like it was another great day of fishing. Hopefully you've gotten to rest up! I'm sharing on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - I'm amazed that you have fewer readers... It's a go to for me about daily.

    Great trip fishing for those Bass. Any big blue's in the mix?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went from an average of about 400 views per day in the first 3 months of 2017 now to less than half that now. Seemingly for no reason.

      Delete
    2. Oh, yeah blues... though people say they have showed up again I haven't seen them. This year has been very poor for bluefish on the fly. I had one good day, that's it.

      Delete
  9. So glad to see your audience responding with the kind of encouragement and support every writer occasionally needs. It's a solitary business. Not that it is an excuse for fewer comments, but when your blog arrives via email, I can't see a mechanism for comment, then not every post appears later in Facebook, where this comment originates. Frankly, when I know you have been out alone to the rattlesnake lair, I am paralyzed by my reptile phobia for a brief spell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm perfectly safe any time I'm visiting my snakes. When you are expecting snakes to be in an area it is very easy to take the necessary precautions to avoid confrontations.

      Delete
  10. Keep doing what you are doing. I read every post as well. I think you could take advantage of social media a little more to promote the blog. I follow you on insta and I think you need to take advantage of what social media has to offer. I don't know if it is the avenue that you want to go down but I could easily see you getting some sponsorships. You could also post more fly tying pics/vids on insta to help promote your tying business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Facebook and Instagram wherever I can. Facebook has proven a bit beneficial, although I hate it. Instagram only goes so far, being unable to link posts in captions and comments. Instagram has seemed to generate almost no new readership, whereas twitter, which I'm not even on and don't plan to be, has generated a little bit. Social media and browser algorithms are weird.

      Delete
  11. Also, if you tried the CC canal a few times you'd definitely get that 40 inch curse out of the way. You'd need to time it when the bait is in close to shore but during certain tides and with your ability you could easily land a 40 in the canal. The current would push your equipment to the edge but its been done before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I saw a blitz there while passing through I'd fish it, but I have no intention of spending a significant time fishing there. Not my cup of tea. Too crowded, too much potential to beat a fish up to the point it won't swim off (I'd have already fished there if I had a 12wt spey), just not the kind of scene I dig anyway. My 30lb fly rod bass will come with hard work, and it will be on my terms. It'll happen.

      Delete