Thursday, April 11, 2019

Burbs Trout Quickie.

If you enjoy what I'm doing here, please share and comment. It is increasingly difficult to maintain this blog under dwindling readership. What best keeps me going so is knowing that I am engaging people and getting them interested in different aspects of fly fishing, the natural world, and art. Follow, like on Facebook, share wherever, comment wherever. Also, consider supporting me on Patreon (link at the top of the bar to the right of your screen, on web version). Every little bit is appreciated! Thank you to my Patrons, Erin, David, john, and Christopher, for supporting this blog.

Last Sunday Mike Andrews and I drove more than 150 miles go get to and from streams that hold trout. Going that far to get to trout when there are plenty of them closer isn't something Mike or I are strangers to. But usually the idea is to get to less populated places. On this day, we basically went as far into suburbia as possible to look for our fish. One river Mike had fished one time but I hadn't ever, another I had fished one time but Mike hadn't. We're both pretty good though, so even with a very short morning trip time span we knew we'd be on fish. And we were in no time at all.



Mike and I leap-frogged downstream. He fished nymphs, I fished streamers. We both did pretty well and were out of that river with plenty of time to hit water with more wild fish.







With the trout slam done and more than enough freshly stocked fish out of the way, we headed back the way we came and in 20 minutes were on smaller water. We both rigged dry droppers, and it was on. BWO's, caddis, midges, and stoneflies were hatching. It was a pretty solid morning bite. Through one riffly stretch I was getting takes virtually every cast, though they were almost all little year old fish. It was pretty clear that that was nursery water.






All in all that was a nice little Sunday morning. And if this post seems hurried and short of words, good. It well matches the kind of outing we had. Short, but sweet.

1 comment:

  1. I read your content. Always a pleasure to see what you're doing. Refreshing to see someone enjoy the outdoors as much as I do!

    ReplyDelete