Friday, July 5, 2019

All American Fish on 4th of July Eve

I took a quick break from writing yesterday's post to go catch something. And get devoured by mosquitoes. The place, a small warm water stream. The tackle, a 6'6" 3wt fly rod. The fly, a simple featherwing streamer. The fish, very hungry.

Lepomis auritus


Semotilus corporalis


To make the trip fitting of the date though I had to catch some fish that are distinctly American. That was my mission. And it was a success. These two fish are both not only American by range but American by name. Of course, ideally I would have liked to have been in Florida and caught an Amnerican flagfish to celebrate Independence Day, but these two are fittingly gritty, tough, and sometimes way too good at populating a places.

Redfin pickerel, Esox americanus americanus

White perch, Morone americana
I hope you all had a fun and safe 4th of July. And please do take time to be thankful for one of the things that truly does make America exceptional: our vast areas of protected public lands.

If you enjoy what I'm doing here, please share and comment. It is increasingly difficult to maintain this blog under dwindling readership. What best keeps me going so is knowing that I am engaging people and getting them interested in different aspects of fly fishing, the natural world, and art. Follow, like on Facebook, share wherever, comment wherever. Also, consider supporting me on Patreon (link at the top of the bar to the right of your screen, on web version). Every little bit is appreciated! Thank you to my Patrons; Erin, David, john, and Christopher, for supporting this blog.

2 comments:

  1. Good colorful catches to celebrate the 4th. Love the Redfin, and need to go fish for them.
    Tie, fish, write, conserve and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On your side of Appalachia you have grass pickerel, not redfin.

      Delete