Thursday, August 13, 2020

The Dead-Sticked Mop

One day I headed out early on the second morning mission to get my new friend Noah his first carp. I'd baited a spot where we'd found carp the previous morning and where he'd hooked a carp which regretfully broke off under a dock. I'd prepared a ground bait the night before and baited the spot around 10:30 pm, and now Noah was late so I baited the spot again. I plopped the mop fly I had on down in the baited area and sat down to zone out and wait for Noah. I let my mind wander and watched the light change as the sun rose. I was broken out of my meditative state when a carp picked up that mop fly and ran off with it. I picked up the rod and the fight was on. I was a little taken aback, I didn't think it was impossible that a carp would suck up the dead-sticked mop in the baited area but I certainly didn't expect it to happen in minutes. I landed that fish, photographed it quickly, and let him swim off.

Thinking that was probably a one off but wondering if it may happen again, I again made a cast and let the mop fly sit. Not two minutes passed before, yet again, I was hooked up to a carp that had scarfed up the static fly.



Again, I popped the fly out and let the fish swim, but now I was pretty thoroughly convinced I would get another fish if I repeated the routine. I also didn't want to completely spook the school, as Noah still wasn't there and I wanted him to get his first.

Sometimes my restraint is lacking.... I almost regretted it as I slid the third carp into shallow water.



When Noah showed up, he did get a run, but we couldn't land one. The other Noah (my long time partner in fishing crime) also ended up out and got shots but didn't land any either, so it was as likely time related as anything. Though, maybe a dead-sticked mop would have done the job again....

I've never left a fly sitting on bottom in a baited area before, as I didn't think carp would hone in on an unscented, unmoving fly regardless of its ability to match that bait in appearance... but apparently that's not true. The mop fly I was using was the same color as the ground bait and bread I was throwing out. This leads me to consider the probability that the fish were seeing the tan mop sitting on the bottom and moving to it. This is interesting behavior, if that is the case, for what is widely  considered a scent oriented feeder.
Just something to think about.
Until next time,
Fish for the love of fish.
Fish for the love of places fish live.
Fish for you.
And stay safe and healthy.



Thank you to my Patrons; Erin, David, John, Elizabeth, Brandon, Christopher, Shawn, Mike, Sara, Leo, and Franky for supporting this blog on Patreon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment