Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Channel Catfish on the Fly

I once caught a quite nice channel catfish on the fly, a specimen right around 10lbs, by accident. It was an incredible battle, even on an 8wt. Ever since, big catfish on the fly is something that has quietly called. But I just never really felt confident enough to target big cats. I didn't feel like there were odds in it where I fish. In the midwest and south, different story, there are more catfish and bigger ones. But at home I was worried I'd have a hard time getting flies in front of enough catfish to actually catch a good one. I know how snappy channel catfish are, any time I've ever seen one during the day and put a fly on it, it ate. So perhaps my confidence should have been higher than it was. One mid-summer night I decided to see if there were any big bass willing to eat on top at dusk in a local river. And, failing that, I had sight fished fair size channel catfish there and the past and seen white catfish, a species I've not caught on the fly. Maybe I'd try to dredge one up.

It took all of half an hour for me to give up on bass. I switched to a longer leader and a heavy Complex Twist Bugger, and began plumbing the depths. It was slow and it was boring and it almost got old before I got the first taker... not a catfish at all, but a fairly nice walleye.


Things continued to drag on slowly after that, though in the glow of a street light I did see the tell tail shapes of catfish glide by. I moved a bit and then I moved some more, then almost an hour after I'd gotten the walleye, my bugger got slammed again and I set into something angry. This time the fish made a very strong run, and I had a feeling this was what I was after. I didn't make quick work of this fight because I couldn't. Even with a 10wt this fish was shockingly able to control parts of the fight where I'd normally have the upper hand. These fish can beat largemouth bass up one side and down the other... channel catfish are much, much stronger.

When I landed her I got pretty damned excited. It had been literally years since I caught my last and only good channel cat on the fly, and it's also just so great when a plan comes together.



I then continued fishing for an exceptionally long time hoping for a repeat of that... and nothing. Some things just aren't easy. I know I could get these guys with bait, and probably very easily. But I'd so much rather dredge streamers for hours, if not days, just to come up with a few fish and maybe another good one. It's not easy, but I'm not looking for easy. I fish to stimulate my brain... and right now I'm thinking up ways to fish similar flies in different water with far more catfish and a lot more species in the not at all distant future. Ohio, anyone?
Until next time,
Fish for the love of fish.
Fish for the love of places fish live.
Fish for you.
And stay safe and healthy.

Thank you to my Patrons; Erin, David, John, Elizabeth, Brandon, Christopher, Shawn, Mike, Sara, Leo, and Franky for supporting this blog on Patreon. 

5 comments:

  1. That was fun and a good Cat for your effort. I never caught a Catfish on a fly rod. The battle must have been rewarding.
    Tie, fish, write, conserve and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice fishing.
    I've only caught one catfish ever. It was on the Delaware at Riverton. The wind died and we were back on the dock, bored. "Hey, let's see if we can catch one!" So scrounged up a rod, and some "salmon eggs" and sent that heavy weight out into the river off the end of the pier, our racing dinghy bobbing forlorn beside the floating dock. In not to terribly much time, cranked in a beefy catfish with a very big head. I'd never seen anything like it up close before under my own hands.

    Maybe I should try to catch another. That was in 1990...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like that was probably a white catfish. "Very big head"

      Delete