Saturday, April 24, 2021

Convergence '21: I Brake For Amphibians

 Spring is here in New England, and so continues my love letter series to my favorite time of year.

 Before chances of stripers eating river herring had begun, I was out in the dark looking for the first amphibian convergences of the year. Warm, rainy nights in late winter and early spring call amphibians back up to the surface from their winter slumber. The same conditions get me excited as well: I don my safety vest, put new batteries in my flashlight, and hop in the car to go see the remarkable migration. 


Spotted salamanders are the most well-known, and possibly the most charismatic of the amphibians that make the great migration to vernal pools each spring. They are beautiful big salamanders and certainly deserve the attention. Every time I see the tell-tale shape of an adult spotted salamander in my headlights, head lifted high, I get a very specific feeling. After a long winter without seeing wild reptiles and amphibians, relief is certainly a part of the equation. 


Other salamanders are on the move as well, including four-toed salamanders, two lined salamanders, red backed salamanders, blue spotted salamanders, marbled salamanders, and a few more species. Though not so well-known these species are just as important.

Four-toed salamander

Wood frogs


On the best night this year, I saw in excess of 100 spotted salamanders crossing the road as well as hundreds of other individuals of various species. It was a truly spectacular show to kick off spring. 

Spring peeper

Four-toed salamander

Marbled salamander

I was out on a dozen nights this spring and will definitely be out on a few more. I moved many amphibians out of the road and hopefully made a bit of a difference in the roadkill statistics. Please, if you can avoid it, don't drive on warm rainy nights. Roads have segmented most amphibian populations and mortality while crossing roads is a huge factor in the declines of salamanders, frogs, toads, turtles, and snakes throughout the country. Please brake for these animals!

Until next time, 

Fish for the love of fish.
Fish for the love of places fish live.
Fish for you.
And stay safe and healthy.


Thank you to my Patrons; Erin, David, John, Elizabeth, Brandon, Christopher, Shawn, Mike, Sara, Leo, C, Franky, Geof, Luke, and Noah for making Connecticut Fly Angler possible. If you want to support this blog, look for the Patreon link at the top of the right side-bar in web version. 


5 comments:

  1. Amazing! I went out a two nights this year and was happy to find a handful of spotted salamanders and one small reddish one that might have been a four toed salamander but I have yet to see a marbled. I will keep looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! Thanks for helping out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of my favorite posts of yours each year are within this series - glad you got out and thanks for sharing the "herps" with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! This whole spring convergence thing is magical.

      Delete
    2. In my old stomping grounds of the Wissahickon and the Schuylkill, there is a spring and I think fall too, turtle crossing volunteer effort. Schuylkill Center for Environmental Education. (When I was a kid it was the Schuylkill Valley Nature Center).

      Delete