Thursday, February 23, 2023

Another Talk & Late Winter Guiding Season

I've got another presentation coming up at the Middle Haddam Library (2 Knowles Rd. Middle Haddam CT), this one is focused on streamer fishing for trout. More specifically; it's on identifying, understanding and imitating common trout stream and lake baitfish. There is a plethora of available trout-stream based entomology information, from books to videos to articles, but substantially less well thought out baitfish information. As someone who not only studies but actively fishes for the small baitfish species the trout feed on, I've always found the general knowledge base among trout anglers of the species trout eat and how they act to be very lacking. This talk seeks to fill in some of those gaps. 


I've also got another article out in The Fisherman New England edition, March issue, titled Sight Fishing: Fresh For Success. So pick up a copy or subscribe online for that! It'll be far from the last piece of mine published there. 

As we settle into the late winter, early spring season things are looking good for a productive end to the winter salmonid season. My April is booked to the gills, mostly with carp trips, so if you're looking to get a spring trout trip with me this year you should grab a date soon. Or of course, if you want to fill in one of those carp trips as well. That fishing has proven to be one of the more unique and productive experiences I provide clients. Nobody else is doing what I'm doing in regard to small watercraft based freshwater sight fishing in this part of the country. But I'll toot the trout horn too, this has been a good winter despite a very droughty summer last year. Yes, there are some streams producing at a lackluster rate, but I've generally been pleasantly surprised. At the moment I'm offering four types of trips: broodstock salmon (Shetucket River), TMA masterclass (can include daylight mousing and winter night trips as well as the usual winter nymph and streamer methodologies I teach), stillwater streamer fishing, and of course still small streams. March is a lot more open than April will be and I'd definitely like to see some of the prime dates fill up. It's shaping up to be a busy season for me! 

Yes, trout will eat mice in broad daylight... and I can show you! 

Thank you to my Patrons; Erin, David, John, Elizabeth, Brandon, Christopher, Shawn, Mike, Sara, Franky, Geof, Luke, Noah, Justin, Sean, Tom, Mark, Jake, Chris, Oliver, and oddity on Display for making Connecticut Fly Angler possible. If you want to support this blog, look for the Patreon link at the top of the right side-bar in web version.

1 comment: