Thursday, March 12, 2015

Carp Time Approaches!

As I watch the snow receding from the road margins and the streams and ponds gradually start to open up, my mind is starting to wander to places under that ice. Somewhere in that dark and very cold water lie the big carp I had the chance to discover last year. At the moment they are probably very sluggish. But when that ice is gone and the sun is warming the flats, the carp will come out to play. And I will be there waiting. With reel loaded up with plenty of backing and brown, olive, and black flies on the end of my tippet, some serious carpage is going to go down. My goal is the typical carper goal, a twenty pounder. I think I stand more than a good chance. Some fly carpers on the other side of the country have already done this! Look in the blog roll down there...






6 comments:

  1. I never knew you could catch carp on a fly. That's pretty cool. I used to shoot a lot with a bow though once the spring floods receded. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,
      They are fine sport on a fly rod and a challenge to hook and land. Well worth targeting.

      Delete
  2. It's getting close here also...might have to go look this weekend. Wish I could wade, but in my area that isn't a good idea. To many big critters with bigger teeth in the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gators and turtles? Approaching them in a kayak is more fun anyway.

      Delete
  3. I admire any fly fisherman who goes after the weary carp---thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, there are a lot of people that dislike the species. A shame.

      Delete