Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Brook Trout Hike and Caddis Mania

 On a family hike this morning I was able to peek into a thin blue line in a few places. In most, I spotted brook trout. There are some in the photo bellow. Can you see them?


After getting home I packed the gear and went to the Big Bend Pool to do some dry fly fishing. I caught five fish right off the bat, pretty much one after another. They were feeding heavily on caddis, both the dries and the emerging pupa. Splashy rises, jumps, boils, and classic head and tail rises filled the feeding lane and the center of the big eddy. I thought after those five fish that the action would continue. The fish kept feeding, and I got a few more takes, but or whatever reason I couldn't figure out what to do after the fish stopped eating the caddis patterns I was using. I tried mayfly spinners, midges, and nymphs but none worked. That's more than OK, I had caught a nice bunch of fish on dry flies and a light rod. And one of them was wild! The fish kept jumping and I bega






12 comments:

  1. Nice job ! - You didn't hear this from me, but if that happens again try a wet fly swung through the rises

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,
      I tried that, but I think the size of my wet flies may have been on the large side.

      Delete
  2. That second picture of the brook trout is outstanding! I love how it really shows the white tipped fins. Congrats on catching another wild one. That pool is certainly treating you well lately. It must've been a blast to catch them on your three weight.
    -RI Brook Trout

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's a blast to catch anything on a three weight, but a crazy leaping rainbow or a wild brown? Yeah, that's just plain fun.

      Delete
  3. Yes, a wet fly. Great water, great fish, great story. I see the trout.
    Tie, fish, write and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,
      Wet flies work, there's no doubt about it.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful fish. I suck at those find the something in the picture games. The water is so clear I thought that was a picture of the trial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same. If I hadn't see the fish in the first place I wouldn't have known he was in the photo.

      Delete
  5. Well done and very nice pictures. Always enjoy the Brook Trout stories from the small streams back there. What a way to spend time on a light rod and some Caddis.............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.
      There are three hatches that a love to fish: caddis, white flies, and any really big mayfly (hex, drake). If those hatches aren't going on I'd rather just throw streamers!

      Delete
  6. Good read. Keep it going, the blog and the fly fishing....

    ReplyDelete