Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Playing the Game of Wits

Getting up at 2:30, working until 1:00, and having to put in extra effort because this spring's conditions are not at all optimal for consistent striper fishing... that's been my life this week. And it'll probably be my life for a long time. I've been helping Nunzio guiding a client from Switzerland. We've got him into some fish, but the big one we really want has stayed off the hook. We've seen some giants, primarily tailing over a flat with lots of crabs and heavy currant. Catching those fish is incredibly difficult. I know I could do it, but translating lots of experience between Nunzio and myself (much much more experience from Nunzio) into words is difficult. These are some of the hardest fish around too fool and hook, so we have a lot of work to do. It's a game of wits, and striped bass are a very witty fish. Hopefully it pays off.

If I were actually guiding I wouldn't be doing any casting, but in this situation I can, and it is actually beneficial because it allows me to hunt and peck, and experiment more to figure out what the fish really want. That translates into better odds for our client. Of course I don't touch the big fish. That just wouldn't be right.











On Monday I turned 20. I hate birthdays. But I did get the first bluefish of the year as a present. I love those things. I can't wait for the big summer blitzes. 



This is a tough time of year for consistent fly action, so if we can get it done it will be more than a small victory!

4 comments:

  1. Happy B-day RM! Looks like some great fishing of late - enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,
      Actually it has been quite tough fishing here.

      Delete
  2. That's a great way to spend your birthday. Doing what you love and love what you are doing.
    Nice catches! Hope the client gets the big one.
    Tie, fish, write, photo and yah PENS...

    ReplyDelete