Monday, July 17, 2017

Foam is Home

I fished a little stream in Northern CT yesterday that I had never fished before. It was a beautiful waterway, clean and cold with lots of falls and plunges. Unfortunately it was a busy place. Lots of sightseers and swimmers. No bueno for catching fish. I found some aquatic creatures in the spots that were hard to get to though, especially places with a lot of foam.


See all those holes in the thick white foam in the first photo? Those were made by rising brook trout and creek chubs. Mostly creek chubs. I caught four chubbies and one brookie, and the brookie didn't let me get a photo. 


The only places that held fish in that stretch of water also had huge amounts of foam. Just goes to show that the old saying, foam is home, is definitely something to pay attention to, especially on small streams. Run a small wet fly or streamer under the foam and chances are something hungry will come up for a look. 

7 comments:

  1. Never pass up a foam patch....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful stream and well worth the effort. Foam is home.
    Tie, fish, write and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I like fishing in crowds of annoying human beings, t would have been worth the effort. But I do not.

      Delete
  3. I liked this short story.
    I only got a couple bumps under the foam on my "Turbid Creek" -- probably should have been more persistent!
    As for creek chubs etc, I'm new to catching them. Never caught one in the Poconos--only trout.
    Would this one that I caught last friday be a chub, or is it a "fallfish" which I thought it might be? (The names dace fallfish and chub seemed to be used interchageably by some people....not sure what is what with these little native fishes)>
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/32459531@N06/35606048520/in/dateposted/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That'd be a fallfish. I'd recommend spending some time on roughfish.com/species if you are interested in boning up on species identification.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! That's a great website.
      Well the fallfish is fast becoming a favorite. The one I just asked about was caught in the same exact pool I got one in last year. And it hit the fly with exuberance.

      My daughter caught one last year, too. On a dry. Very fun:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/32459531@N06/30579097002/in/album-72157674548770621/

      Delete