Thursday, July 27, 2017

Summer Evening on the Farmington

It's not bee a warm dry summer here, finally. The Farmington is at a great flow and perfect temperature and there are plenty of bugs hatching. How could I pass up an opportunity to fish up there for an evening? I joined a couple friends yesterday for some dry fly fishing in late afternoon until dark. The surface activity wasn't as good as it could ave been, but there were fish rising sporadically all over and there was the typical flurry of activity at last light. Fish were fooled with large Adam's, beetles, and various caddis, and I had one brown on a caddis pupa.





When we finally found some good numbers of isonychia emerging, there were indeed trout rising too them, but there were an absurd number of cedar wax wings flying around plucking the duns out of the air. It was te most bird activity I'd ever seen on the river.




After I stuck one rainbow on an iso emerger the action started to slow, so I changed to a beetle. While I wasn't paying attention a huge brown took my fly. There wasn't much I could do about it, and even worse it was a fish I'v been trying to catch for a while now. He's always somewhere in that run. Next time... maybe. 

The last light bite was funky. I'm not really sure what the fish were eating, but I did catch a couple and miss a ton on sedgehammer caddis. 



Hard to beat trout on dry flies in late July, especially in cold fast flowing water!

10 comments:

  1. I've been thinking the same thing. If I can manage to escape on a day this weekend that would be great. I haven't fished that river since the winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It shines when the weather's hot an sweaty and when there are biting bugs out. Especially ate in the day when the tubers and other fisherman have gone home.

      Delete
  2. The cedar waxwings pay more attention to the isos then the fish do sometimes. Last summer I happened to be on the river when the isos were coming off in good numbers. I ended up watching the birds doing acrobatics! I still don't know how they avoided slamming into one another. It's teally something to see. Glad you got to watch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those birds must perceive things in a slower speed than we do.

      Delete
  3. Rowan
    Nice evening on the Farmy! I agree with Mark watching the cedar waxwings diving and chasing the ISOs. All part of the adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete,
      They are beautiful birds and put one quite the show!

      Delete
  4. Rowan
    This is one river I would love to fish, but considering the distance I will have to fish it through your post, Alan's and Mark's post. Beautiful trout taken on some awesome looking water. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever do make it up here, the three of us would undoubtedly be glad to show you the ropes.

      Delete
  5. Good flow and food for all. That was a nice evening of fishing. Wish I was there.
    Tie, fish, write and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great flow, but what I really want to see is so much bug life the river is boiling with trout!

      Delete