Wednesday, September 27, 2017

A Most Charismatic Little Fish

I've spent the last two afternoons targeting one of my favorite micro species to fish for, redfin pickerel. They are a bit of an oddball, living in extremely shallow, often muddy and weedy parts of streams. When water levels are up it can be very hard to find them because they tuck back into little nooks and crannies that a fly can't really be cast to.

When the water is low, however, they might come out to play. When the habitat is right for them they are usually very common there, yet they can be somewhat frustratingly hard to catch. The don't seem to adhere to a pattern, and it's rarely ever non-stop action fishing for these little guys. 

Interestingly, skating wetflies and dries is the best approach to tempting a redfin pickerel. Like their larger brethren, when the do decide to eat the fly it is an aggressive strike. 









You'll see a lot more pickerel than you catch when looking for redfins in low water, but that's fun too. They dart around looking for a hiding spot, going from completely still to moving very quickly to completely still again. It's almost like they teleport. Others play the "you can't see me if I don't move" game. That makes photographing them in the water easier than it is with some other fish.




Redfin pickerel are a unique, charismatic little fish, and they deserve more attention. 

8 comments:

  1. The Redfin is a favorite of mine. They are aggressive as hell when need be but as you state they can just lie as docile as a salamander. They are also very pretty and coexist with the brook trout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very pretty, their eyes in the water are almost a neon green. Quite striking.

      Delete
  2. More impeccable timing!
    My daughter founded a fishing club at her school.
    They had their first outing weekend before last. Within 5 minutes of getting on the stream, they were all hooking into redfin! It was my first time seeing them caught.
    And clear low water on a muddy stream sure is their habitat.
    Although I didn't catch one, I did get a brookie on the same stretch--and there was another brookie directly below them that was not in a feeding mood.
    If you go to my journal I'll have some pics up about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't see them when the water is higher, they push back into the nooks and crannies and don't come out far.

      Delete
  3. They are real beauties. I can't say I ever caught one. Are they in PA.
    Tie, fish, write and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are native populations in far East PA and historical data shows introduced populations in the SW corner.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful little fish Rowan. How big do they get?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 10 inches is a trophy. I actually caught one that would have broken the world record when I was 14. It was probably 15 inches long! I had no clue what it was.

      Delete