Monday, September 18, 2017

Cape Cod and RI 2 Day Trip, Pt. 1: West Wall

I'm back! It was a great trip. Not he best fishing in the world, far from it, but really quite unique and full of firsts for both Noah and I. Enough happened and there was so much variety that a single post really won't do it, so I'm braking it up into a few different posts. 

We left Saturday morning in some seriously think fog, and after an hour and a half's drive later very little of the conditions had changed. In fact we were buried in a thick fog until well after we left our first fishing location, which just happens to be probably the most famous shore albie fishing location in New England, the West Wall. There, at the mouth of Point Judith Pond, is a long breakwater that provovides both a bait holding structure and a casting platform on a stretch of shoreline where getting albies and bonito from the natural shoreline would be very difficult otherwise, especially fly casting. 



Reports hadn't been great, but I was keen to see and fish the Wall since it would be my first time. I like knowing what I'm in for rather than being thrown into the action without knowing what the deal is in a spot, and an early visit to this spot, before the action really hits, would be smart. That's pretty much what we got. There were albies around in good number right when we got there, but it was very much unlike any albie fishing I'd done before. There were never any concentrated blitzes. We were just blind casting and hoping some unseen wandering false albacore would find our offerings.


Noah hooked into an albie on one of his first casts! Unfortunately his fish popped off very late in the fight. Not long after I hooked a fish too. Mine was very badly behaved, going straight for a buoy. It wrapped around the line and very easily broke off. That was disappointing.


Noah ended up getting a second opportunity, which he did not let slip away. I unfortunately, did not get that second chace.




It was a fairly busy day on the wall, there were a ton of other fly and light tackle anglers there hoping to catch one of the greatest fish in the Northeast. I was crowded but it was also fun. Nobody was being rude, all the guys I met were just good company, we chatted, joked, and just had a good time while waiting to get our rods bent and half and reels given the most grueling of tests. I liked it. It may not always be like that, but my first taste of the West Wall did nothing but leave me wanting more.


After a very long while with no action at all for anybody, we moved on to our second part of the trip. This one being very, very different from the rest. I got to visit a place I've wanted to see for years.

2 comments:

  1. I've never fished for them, but we will enjoy your journey. Looking forward the your next post.
    Tie, fish, write and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot more than albies coming soon. In fact, for this trip, no more albies at all.

      Delete