Sunday, December 24, 2017

The Best I've Seen in 3 or 4 Years


My home river isn't my home river isn't my home river because it's the closest river to home. It never was. It's my home river because it's where I learned how to fly fish. It is my fly fishing roots. It's the river I know best. I've fished it a lot in 6 years. I've gotten to know her and know her well. I know the patterns; I know what conditions are best; and I know what will hatch, how the fish will react to that hatch, and when that hatch will happen. There are always little mysteries, but rivers are ever changing so that's never going to go away. But I have my finger on the pulse of my home river. I know her moods. I knew going into my outing yesterday that there was going to be a good bite. But what I got wasn't remotely what I expected. 



The first hour was slow. I caught one fish in the first pool than went an sixth of a mile without a touch. The water was still warming up though, the sun had just hit the bottom of the valley, so I pushed on despite not getting takes where I knew there were fish. Eventually the temperature increased enough and fish began to feed. Picking through a long stretch of pocket water I took a handful of small fish. Beautiful, parr marked, healthy brown trout.





Where the stretch of pocket water  turned into a lower gradient set of runs and pools, I fished a run I had never fished before. How can I fish a river regularly for six years and have a run that I never fished? It didn't exist just three months ago. These small mountain streams are dynamic. Trees fall, rocks move, log jams for or wash away. It's a constantly changing environment. Fish take advantage of new holding water. I dropped my Ausable Ugly in the seem and it made it only two feet before the line paused, I set the hook, and a substantial fish angrily took off downstream. I got it into a calm backwater and was soon holding the first good fish of the trip.



A bit further upstream I took an 8 inch brown in a short riffle that refused to be photographed. I then went a fair distance, once again, without a take. Clearly fish were still getting their wits about them. Then, in a run in front of a big boulder that I just knew held a trout, my line came tight, I lifted the rod, and a commanding pull signified I had hooked a larger fish. A lot of small stream fish don't give a fight to remember. They come to the surface, splash around, and are at hand in seconds. This fish was not so easy, and for a tense few moments he was in charge. I eventually gained control and brought the fish home. He was a big colored up male, all of 13 inches, not a fish I could have expected to encounter. Mumbling under my breath about how gorgeous he was, I took a few photos, removed the fly, and watched him swim home.





From that point one the bite was more consistent. I picked up fish in most good holding water, and though most were small a few were in the 5 to 7 inch range.



The next surprise I got came in a deep hole that I know fish like to winter over in. The first fish it produced was not a brown, but a colorful and healthy rainbow! Whether it is a holdover fish or wild I am not certain.




The same pool that gave up the two smaller browns above.


Then an 11.5 incher.


And a 10 incher. This pool usually does hold more than one fish. I've often caught two or three out of it. But never five. That was a bit of a surprise.


Further upriver I went, continuing to catch smaller browns here and there. In a turbulent run I hooked and lost another nice fish that gave me a little tease by jumping just after the fly popped out. She was probably 12 inches.






The craziness continued as I fished another quarter mile of water, catching a few good fish. I got the only salmon smolt I'd get all day as well. Then in the short section of water I knew would have to be my last, I caught two more big, colored up, kype jawed males in consecutive pools. In the last 3 years, when I'm coming here, I'm looking for just one or two of these big small stream fish in a trip, and I know they're not easy to come by. I've come to terms with the fact that this stream will never be what it was when I was 14 or 15. Things have changed a great deal since then, but this day gave me hope that maybe it can still be something special. Because this is the best day I've had there in 3 or 4 years, and it took me by surprise.





8 comments:

  1. Very nice wild browns indeed! Well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great trip, lovely fish and stream.... very nice "home" water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doug Korn, it is a special place with special fish.

      Delete
  3. Rowan
    Gorgeous stream, I could see trout holding in waters like that, nice job getting that many takes and landing some colorful trout. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since small stream wild brown trout are rarely picky thos time of year and I know what they'll eat, it's all up to them how many takes I get.

      Delete
  4. You are very lucky to have such beautiful water and fish in your area. Thanks for taking me along. You do understand the changing environments.
    Tie, fish, write and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everybody had a special fishery close to home. Some people just never find them.

      Delete