Sunday, March 25, 2018

Simpler Fish


I enjoy panfish. I like tying flies for them, I like catching them, I like looking at them, and sometimes I like eating them. Some fisherman think they've 'grown out of' fishing for sunfish and perch. I, for one, never will. I've caught Atlantic salmon, 26inch trout, giant carp, and 35lb striped bass, and I still love going down to the farm pond, casting simple flies and catching simple fish. Maybe it's just a love for nostalgia. But maybe not. I still keep learning about these fish, and I thin anyone that thinks they know all they can possibly know about catching bluegill and crappie are kidding themselves.


Yesterday I spent a lot of my time just sitting and watching the water. I was on a very familiar farm pond. Between the gusts of wind that frequently disturbed the water's surface, midges were emerging. The popped through the film so abruptly they actually sent out a ring of tiny ripples. Then they began to flutter their wings rapidly, propelling themselves across the surface, making a wake. Occasionally they would sit still for a few moments, but usually they were on the move and for good reason. Bluegills and crappies were cruising just below, and they ate most of the midges that attempted to emerge.








Usually this time of year my approach to farm pond bluegills does not involve any kind of retrieve. I'll typically fish a dry dropper or unweighted small nymph or soft hackle, make a cast, let it sit a long as I felt necessary, then re-cast and repeat. Today that was not the best presentation. Today they wanted flies moving. It was fun and a little bit new. A slightly different bite than I see most of the time. An opportunity to fill in another gap in my database.

Water 44° Fahrenheit.
Air 46°.
Mostly cloudy, variable gusty wind.
Midges hatching. Sz. 18.
Bluegill and crappie rising to fluttering midges.
AK Best Winged beetle and Black CDC caddis took fish, skated.



10 comments:

  1. Watch and learn is a good tactic. This observation can give us the edge for a good fishing day.
    Guess you had a fish fry.
    Tie, fish, write and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This fish all swam free. Sometimes I like to eat panfish, but not often.

      Delete
  2. Simple and unpretentious.
    Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the panfish is worth fishing for. I had never caught one--ever--until last year. In my fishing habits growing up in PA, there weren't any in the stream I fished. Or of there were. the exuberant baby char outcompeted them for my royal coachman!
    Last year's after work experiments on a pond in Massachusetts led to all sorts of great stuff. Bluegill are selective feeders. Matching a midge hatch was an outstanding example. Before I matched, they would bump but not take my flies. Another thing about them: they investigate pretty much anything, but if they keep seeing it but haven't eaten it yet, they actually remember that and ignore from then on. Change flies and you can generate new interest. I think this same behavior applies to trout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That behavior applies to every species of fish I've encountered.

      Delete
  4. Rowan
    The big gills didn't get bull size by being dumb!!--ever wonder why the bluegill never hit water bugs swimming on water surface??? Great post thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have. Bass and trout seem to exhibit the same lack of interest in whirligigs and water striders. I wonder if they have a foul taste?

      Delete
  5. I still have a love of panfish, but have not fished for them in recent years. When my brothers and I were youngsters, Mom and Dad would take us crappie fishing, minnows and bobbers being the tactic. We had great fun and the fried crappies breaded with corn meal were some kind of good. Mom really knew how to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take a drive to the nearest farm pond! It'll keep those good memories going.

      Delete