Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Micros at Night

It didn't take me much time seeking new species to realize that I could find a broad variety of fish at night simply by walking the shallows with a bright light, seeing whatever was there to see. And after I started doing that, I discovered that a certain number of species remain willing to eat while being lit up by a bright light. Why? I don't know. But micro fish especially seem to have a pretty relaxed attitude about being spot-lighted. And, honestly, there's no other way to catch them at night. Micros, bottom feeders, and other species that require sight fishing methods to capture at night using artificial flies at night, I will spotlight. For everything else, it feels dirty to me. And doesn't really work either.
But I digress....
I've spent an immense amount of time walking around in the shallows of lakes, ponds, rivers, small streams, and estuaries at night with a light on. And as things have warmed up this spring I've started to do so again. 
Juvenile American eel ((yellow phase) Anguilla rostrata)  hiding in the rocks. 

Blacknose dace, Rhinichthys atratulus
 With a full moon wrecking the night trout fishing last weekend on my part time home water and only one small brown and a jumbo common shiner on the mouse in a few hours, I made the switch over to spotlighting and tanago hook flies.
Large male common shiner, Luxilus cornutus
 Tessellated darters were the most abundant targets. It's funny, they all have different personalities. Some will spook as soon and the lands in front of them. Others with let you touch them with it repeatedly but won't spook or take it. Others will nip it once or twice then run away. A few will keep eating it even if you've hooked them, lifted them out of the water, and then lost them.
Females are the most abundant and also the most dull, so I tried to seek out the more robust and colorful males. I still ended up with more than a dozen females.

Tessellated darter, female. Etheostoma olmstedi
I was also seeing a lot of small white suckers, and I was determined to catch one of them. It didn't surprise me in the slightest that they wouldn't take a fly alone. But I won't lie, I was a little taken aback by how quickly I got one when I tipped the fly with a little bit of worm. I really thought they'd be harder than that. I caught four in total.

White sucker, Catostomus commersonii


Another surprise was that I caught both a bluegill and a green sunfish. I've found sunfish to be a bear to deceive under a spotlight. The greenie made off before a photo op was allowed.

Bluegill, Lepomis macrochirus
 Then I found what I was looking for, a studly male tessellated darter. What a handsome little beast he was!


Tessellated darter, male.

 
Spotlighting at night is liable to produce a pretty large number of new micro species for me this year if I can just get to the places where those new species are. I'm running out of them close to home. 

If you enjoy what I'm doing here, please share and comment. It is increasingly difficult to maintain this blog under dwindling readership. What best keeps me going so is knowing that I am engaging people and getting them interested in different aspects of fly fishing, the natural world, and art. Follow, like on Facebook, share wherever, comment wherever. Also, consider supporting me on Patreon (link at the top of the bar to the right of your screen, on web version). Every little bit is appreciated! Thank you to my Patrons; Erin, David, john, and Christopher, for supporting this blog.

10 comments:

  1. Gosh, extraordinary photos. The one with the female tesselated with all the bugs on your hand--super!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You inspired us to go out ourselves. And while we did not find any tessellated Darters, I did find three American eels and number of yellow perch and quite a few 2 to 6 in unidentified fish. It was very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a serious lack of tessellated darters in the waterways closest to you. I'm not sure why, and they aren't an especially sensitive species, but I can't imagine there's a natural cause.

      Delete
  3. What a great way to find and study those little critters.
    Tie, fish, write, conserve and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the goal is to study their natural behavior, spotlighting isn't a good method because it puts them in a decidedly unnatural state.

      Delete
  4. Very cool to see all these small, and in some cases, young, fish. The tessellated darters make me think of micro walleye in some ways. Very cool.
    Will

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same family as walleye: Percidae.

      Delete
    2. The naming of fish drives me crazy because so many have "false" names. Like for instance (largemouth) bass, which are sunfish. White perch (sometimes called white bass) which are same family as striped bass, the "trout" that aren't trout (they are either drum, or char...) the list is long and wonderfully confusing.
      So now it all makes sense, Walleye are perch, yellow perch are perch, and tesselated darters are also perch!
      Now I have to go look at that amazing taxonomic change-up in ornothology again--the one we talked about with the long legged bird that turned out to descend from pigeons not from the other waders. Lots of opportunity for confusion when some (often) superficial morphology carries the naming forward "sotted seatrout" being the most absurd of them.

      Delete
    3. Just because largemouth bass are in the sunfish doesn't mean 'bass' is a false name. Centrarchidae (sunfishes) have two genera for which the common name 'bass' can accurately be used: Micropterus (the black basses) and Ambloplites (the rock basses). As for speckled trout, sand trout, ext... species that belong to the genus Cynoscion of the family Sciaenida all carry the common name weakfish, seatrout, or corvina, and in terms offrequently miss-used common names, corvina is the one that takes the cake. Seatrout makes sense. Look at the species that carry that name: they all look trout-like. Don't get caught up in what a bass is or what a trout is or what a corvina is or what a perch is, because at the end of the day, common names aren't meant to give you an idea of the evolutionary lineage or anything of that sort, they were just made to match a fish's appearance and behavior in such a way that made the name easy to remember.

      And no, walleye are not perch, and tesselated darters are not perch. Walleye are pike perch, tesselated darters are darters, and yellow perch are perch. Calling them all perch isn't accurate, just as calling a barrelfish (Hyperoglyphe perciformis) a perch wouldn't be accurate.

      Delete
    4. Thanks for responding. That is interesting and useful to keep in mind (common names not part of phylogeny).
      I guess what the common names really do is show who came up with them: Europeans. They had trout, they show up in the New World, they see troutlike speckles...
      If the Seminoles had taken over Europe, perhaps the brown trout would be known as a stream drum or something (I can't find the Seminole word for it...of course!)

      Delete