Tuesday, May 7, 2019

The Mosquitofish Saga Continues

With instructions to bag, or rather jar, some mosquitofish from Steve Gephard, Noah and I set out last week to do just that, and hunt down some other new fish as well. I scraped the label off a jar and we stopped on the way to get some isopropyl alcohol. No, this was not going to be a "dead or alive" capture. We needed these fish preserved. We got to the pond and Noah started dip netting. I wanted to get at least one of each sex. Getting females is easy, but there are an awful lot more of them than there are males. It didn't take that long though to sort a male out. I pressed on with my mission to catch one of the fly since it would almost certainly end up being my life Western mosquitofish. Eventually, I did, and we had everything we had come to this pond for except a mudminnow or shiner... next time. Or maybe never, there.

Gambusia affinis (?) Lifer fish #131, rank species



Then we went looking for goldfish, another non-native that isn't the easiest to come by in CT. In a small pond where I'd seen a number of goldfish in the past, we managed to spot only one. And catching it wasn't possible, because it seemed to literally fad away as we looked at it. Clearly it must have just sunk behind some weeds or leaf litter, bit in the dark water it didn't look like it moved, it just looked like it faded away. We figured there wasn't much chance of catching goldfish that were able to phase in and out of this plane of reality, but there were other fish in that pond too. It had a population of the most wacky looking hybrid and pure breed sunfish I've ever seen. Sorting through a bunch of those, I was able to get a new lifer hybrid, bluegill x green sunfish. 




Lepomis macrochirus x Lepomis cyanellus, Lifer #132, rank hybrid.

Ditto.





At a final pond, we ended up just catching some more great looking sunfishes. I'll never complain about a colorful sunfish. Ever. 





Considering I haven't caught a new species or hybrid in months, that was a pretty good day locally. Tomorrow is liable to be even better, as Noah and I attempt to target three wildly different species. Hopefully we catch at least one of them. If not, it will still be an interesting little trip. So stay tuned for that.

If you enjoy what I'm doing here, please share and comment. It is increasingly difficult to maintain this blog under dwindling readership. What best keeps me going so is knowing that I am engaging people and getting them interested in different aspects of fly fishing, the natural world, and art. Follow, like on Facebook, share wherever, comment wherever. Also, consider supporting me on Patreon (link at the top of the bar to the right of your screen, on web version). Every little bit is appreciated! Thank you to my Patrons; Erin, David, john, and Christopher, for supporting this blog.

2 comments:

  1. #132 and counting. Those gills are beautiful. The color variations are stunning.
    Tie, fish, write, conserve and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's just it though, there isn't a single pure bluegill photographed in this post. Just hybrids, pumpkinseeds, and green sunfish.

      Delete