Thursday, June 6, 2019

The Best Small Stream Spring

This spring has been something special. There are a few areas in which the conditions have given me the short end of the stick, my home river for one, where the high water both suppressed the rise activity and made covering water effectively difficult. But other small streams are fishing as well or better than I've ever seen. 

On Sunday, I visited a small southern CT stream that has been a favorite of mine since Alan Petrucci showed it to me a number of years ago. I visited it a couple times this winter and did not do well. But I was determined to fish it during prime dry fly time this spring, and I had a good feeling about my chances. This stream and it's tributaries have produced some of mine, Alan's, and Kirk's biggest CT brook trout. 

I found it in fine form Sunday morning, water barely touching 60 degrees, and at a perfect flow. I saw a riser within minutes of getting within sight of the water. I tied on a rig one can hardly go wrong with: an Ausable Bomber above a beadhead Soft Hackled Hare's Ear. 


It took but a few casts before the bomber plunged under, and I soon had a ten inch wild char at hand. The very next cast had much the same result.


And it didn't take long to find one willing to take the dry, either. Oh yes, this was to be a glorious day.



Spiderwebs hanging over the river were loaded with mayflies. Sulfurs, light cahills, vitreous, and march browns were most abundant.


This fine specimen was to be my biggest of the day. The photo does a poor job of demonstrating this handsome male's true stature. This was a large fish for a CT small stream, though not the biggest I would see today.


In one large bend pool who's depths reach about four and a half feet, I planted my flies in a bush that hangs over. Carefully wading out to retrieve them, I saw an absolute behemoth of a brookie, a fish that was 18 inches at the smallest and probably three pounds. It was an astonishing sight, even though I knew this stream had potential to produce such a fish. Believe it or not I didn't feel the need to catch it at that moment, and I haven't thought about it much since. I may go after it, I may not.




I was retracing my own steps and catching the fish I'd missed on the way up when i hear a familiar voice. I looked up to see Alan approaching. He'd been having a great morning too. We chatted for a bit and continued our own ways.






This spring truly has been exceptional in a number of ways. With nights remaining fairly cool I foresee a decent early summer as well, especially if we continue to receive rain.

The only fry fly one must have if they seek wild brook trout. 
If you enjoy what I'm doing here, please share and comment. It is increasingly difficult to maintain this blog under dwindling readership. What best keeps me going so is knowing that I am engaging people and getting them interested in different aspects of fly fishing, the natural world, and art. Follow, like on Facebook, share wherever, comment wherever. Also, consider supporting me on Patreon (link at the top of the bar to the right of your screen, on web version). Every little bit is appreciated! Thank you to my Patrons; Erin, David, john, and Christopher, for supporting this blog.

8 comments:

  1. Rowan
    You are one lucky angler to live in an area where the brook trout are plentiful. If given the choice between landing large browns and rainbows verses the native brookies, I would choose the brook trout. I assume you use the 2/3 weight when fishing for these beauties?
    Really enjoyed this post------Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd feel just as lucky to live in an area with native longear sunfish. Everywhere has it's own amazing native fish, and everyone that does so is lucky to live in such a way that they get to experience those fish.
      I was fishing a 9ft 5wt on this day given the potential to hook into quite large brookies in this stream.

      Delete
  2. I love how Connecticut goes from the late winter to lush jungle and everything in between. "Spring" has at least 7 seasons of its own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 7 seasons in one, and in different permutations each year. And increasingly confusing due to climate change.

      Delete
  3. That stream is tough at times to get a handle on, but when you do it's awesome. Another thing I like about it is the brookies are dark in color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are especially good looking when the tree canopy shades stream, aren't they?

      Delete
  4. Seems like a beautiful spot filled with some amazing brookies. Well done!

    ReplyDelete