Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Black Bass After Hours

Some might think my obsession for night fishing originated in trout. I do, indeed, put in a lot of hours each year fishing for salmonids between sunset and sunrise, and have been for about six years. But they're not the fish that sparked my interest in fishing after dark. That honor, actually, belongs to the black basses. Long before I learned to cast a fly rod I wanted to know the behaviors and patterns of big bass at night. Though I was too young to be granted permission to night fish like I do now, I got out when I could, and I caught some big bass doing so. I hate to say it but I'm out of practice these days, I can't even remember the last time I caught a truly impressive largemouth bass at night, but I do venture out from time to time seeking hawgs after dark, albeit with different gear.

Early May this year was exceptionally chilly, it even snowed. Such weather patterns wouldn't seem conducive to nocturnal bass bites, but I hit it right on one particular night.
Big flies come to mind far too often when night fishing is brought up, regardless of species. Though low light conditions routinely make predator fish drop their guard and feed on larger prey, that's doesn't mean small to medium sized presentations won't fish better. Never underestimate a well tied and well presented Woolly Bugger for bass at night.


Now, I should admit that the four cookie cutter smallmouth and single healthy above average largemouth I got on this cold May eve were not expected, I wasn't there specifically for bass. Catching a couple wouldn't have been a surprise at all. But this pile of reasonably good quality fish was noteworthy. Though I wasn't able to get out enough to determine if it were a repeatable pattern, it's in the logbook now and come the same time next year further exploration of a potential predictable yearly bite window is warranted. That said, it may have been a one off. I don't really know.


I've fished for black bass a lot more this year than I typically do and I've had a few pretty good fish, but I'm just not satisfied. With summer very much here now, my efforts will need to be directed at low light periods, and that includes night fishing. Ideally, this is the year I regain my big bass mojo. Let's see what I can learn and re-learn along the way.
Until next time,
Fish for the love of fish.
Fish for the love of places fish live.
Fish for you.
And stay safe and healthy.



Thank you to my Patrons; Erin, David, John, Elizabeth, Brandon, Christopher, Shawn, Mike, Sara, Leo, and Franky for supporting this blog on Patreon. 

8 comments:

  1. Hope you get to do some more night fishing this year and that you have some exciting catches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a lot of action for a night bite! I finally landed a nice wild brown out of the Farmy monday night on a mouse pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly wasn't slow, but a lot of action for a night bight typically entails at least a few dozen fish to hand in my book.

      Delete
  3. Real nice bass. Well done. You are definitely an all round angler who knows how to catch fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.
      But there's still a lot I don't know.

      Delete