Sunday, February 5, 2017

A Bad Day of Fishing

I kinda hate the saying "a bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work". It isn't true. I thoroughly enjoyed being a casting instructor. I love guiding more than I like catching my own fish. And despite the tedium and physical discomfort of tying commercially I do get to make things that could very well produce somebody's fish of a lifetime. I've come out of three hours of tying with a back unfit for sleeping on, and yet there are some days of fishing that hurt WAY more than that. I've had days where I would gladly trade places with a coal miner. I've had days where I literally could not do anything right, days that were hot and tremendously uncomfortable, days when I was soaked to the bone and frozen solid. And keep in mind, a lot of the worst days of fishing I can think of were not skunks. One day in particular I had a few decent largemouth to hand but by the end of the third hour I was ready to cut my fingers off and sell all my gear. Today was not one of those days. It still sucked, the Patriots won (Steel City blood in my veins starts to boil any time I have to see any New England Team win. Sorry, I can't give up my heritage). And I also didn't catch a single fish, which was a but surprising. But I'll be darned if I wasn't fishing some exceptionally gorgeous water. Take a look see:




So, not so bad. But still not good enough for me to really be excited. Tomorrow....

4 comments:

  1. Right on Rowan. Just being out on that stream would satisfy my soul. Have you tried elevating your tying station to a standing position?
    Tie, fish, write and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given my inability to stand in one spot for any significant amount of time, I'll stick to sitting. I get sore feet when I have to stand on flat ground for any more than 20 minutes.

      Delete
  2. Cold...it's starting to get to me. I can tolerate it at first but an hour in to the outing my body starts to rebel. First my feet, then my fingers and finally my knees. If the action is hot I can put up with the cold, but when it's not I'll be heading to the nearest cup of hot coffee I can find. Yesterday was such an outing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately a scrawny person such as myself has to deal with the fingers getting stiff after half an hour or so without gloves. The cold is killer.

      Delete