Saturday, April 8, 2017

Old Reliable

When the conditions aren't so great and the options are limited it's nice to have a fish around that is willing no matter what. All the better if it is a pretty one, and the humble bluegill is a very well decorated fish. I often find myself holding a nice bluegill and thinking how it could be rejected by anglers who are so keen to fish for its big cousin, the black bass. Why must beautiful, easy to catch fish be for young children only? Well, they are not to me. Give me a bluegill pond and I will be happy, at least for a while.






6 comments:

  1. Beautiful water and fish. I agree, the bluegill is a worthy game fish. Most of us learned how to fish catching them. Good memories.
    Tie, fish, write and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fully agree. Have to admit... After marrying into Minnesota, I learned that they are about the only fish I enjoy eating too - fantastic dinner fare, and fantastic sport as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect fish for it too... prolific as all get out, keeping a bucketful won't hurt the fishery!

      Delete
  3. Great looking fish.
    I caught a bluegill yesterday and ate it. Even though it was tiny. I made a movie about it on my blog.

    ReplyDelete