Saturday, December 15, 2018

Contrast

If you enjoy what I'm doing here, please share and comment. It is increasingly difficult to maintain this blog under dwindling readership. What best keeps me going so is knowing that I am engaging people and getting them interested in different aspects of fly fishing, the natural world, and art. Follow, like on Facebook, share wherever, comment wherever. Also, consider supporting me on Patreon (link at the top of the bar to the right of your screen, on web version). Every little bit is appreciated! 
Thanks for joining the adventure, and tight lines.

New England winters exist in near perfect contrast to New England summers. The abundance of life and color gives way to a very brief spell of even more color until almost everything goes to sleep. I sat "near perfect contrast" and "almost everything goes to sleep" because these things seem so to the untrained eye. In reality life and color carry on, maybe a little subdued, but when painted on a canvass of dull grey the what remains awake through the winter is remarkably bright.





 For those in the know, winter provides some of the best fly fishing to be had all year. The macroinvertabrate abundance available from late March till December has diminished, brown and brook trout have spawned and are looking to regain the weight they lost. If you know where to look and how to fish, and know that you must put your time in, winter could easily result in the biggest trout of your life.

Winter, to me, is my time to trout fish. Most others have thrown in the towel. The rivers are cold and icy and the fish are much slower than they were just a month ago. But I know, without a doubt, that if I put the time in on the right stream with the right methods, I will catch trout.
One may be the biggest brookie of the year.
One may be a huge holdover rainbow. .
One may be the brown trout of  lifetime
But the real endgame is always the same. I'm looking for the biggest, baddest, oldest trout in every stream I fish.
I am tasked with finding something so big and colorful that it should be hard to hide in the clear waters and grey and white background of winter. It is a challenge best left for those with a discerning eye, a quiet step, and an unending patience.



9 comments:

  1. Your post is absolutely perfectly time. With temps in the 50s today, I head out to two of my local streams. I am normally a dry dropper kinda guy, but I figured streamers would be the way to go. Two plus hours and not even a “nibble”. What do you recommend for fly selection for fishing small eastern ct streams?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the winter, well weighted Walt's Worm, small Woolly Bugger, Ausable Ugly, or pink San Juan Worm all work great.

      Delete
    2. There are some small gems I fish in eastern CT.
      Rowans fly picks are sound. I might add one more, weighted Picket Pin.

      Delete
  2. I love the way you see nature, anytime of year. There is always harmony in color to be found.
    Nice catches! I could feel the excitement.
    Tie, fish, write, conserve and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For these, there was little excitement. Not what I was looking for.

      Delete
  3. I look forward to your writings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done catching the beautiful trout. That dark rainbow is a beauty. You sure know how to connect regardless of where you fish. A great talent which you will appreciate as you get old like me. Nothing like having a trout or any kind of fish on the business end of a fly rod.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm proud to have reached that point, but I need to go further than that. I need to be able to catch big trout more consistently, or at least know when it isn't worth trying. I need to understand every variable.

      Delete