Monday, December 24, 2018

Home River Before Christmas


2017
2014


2013

Since 2013, I have payed a visit to my home river every Christmas Eve Morning, regardless of water conditions. Above are some of the reasons why this has become a tradition. Out of the previous 5 years, two were outright skunkings and three were some of the most memorable fishing trips I've taken. Had it not been for my capture of the giant brown named Grandfather on Dec. 24th, 2013 in some of the worst stream conditions I've ever fished this tradition would not have started at all. Dec. 24th, 2014 was a 30 fish day. December 24th, 2015 was a skunking due to suspended leaf litter in the drift. December 24th, 2016 was a skunking due to ice. December 24th 2017 was the best day I'd had on my home river since 2014.

This year, I knew beforehand that I'd be on the road all day on the 24th. Fishing my home river that day was not going to happen. So, I chose to go the day before. The conditions were not great, but I know this river better than the back of my own hand. Under higher flows like this, I know where the deep buckets are that the trout lie in and how to drop my nymph into them, and I know what water to skip over. I made out more than well enough, and I consider the tradition upheld. 







8 comments:

  1. Wow - the noggin on that first brown is something else! Gorgeous fish.

    Have a super holiday week here RM!
    Will

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little things like this are what life is about. Good job and Congratulations! Keep this tradition going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on the beautiful browns. I fished the 700 CFS Swift River today, but nothing doing. Tried several different flies including an elk hair caddis on a slick run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not well versed in Swift River tactics but an elk hair caddis in 700cfs doesn't make sense to me.

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year! Great posts and read as always!!!

    ReplyDelete