Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Keep it Stupid, Simple

If you enjoy what I'm doing here, please share and comment. It is increasingly difficult to maintain this blog under dwindling readership. What best keeps me going so is knowing that I am engaging people and getting them interested in different aspects of fly fishing, the natural world, and art. Follow, like on Facebook, share wherever, comment wherever. Also, consider supporting me on Patreon (link at the top of the bar to the right of your screen, on web version). Every little bit is appreciated! 
Thanks for joining the adventure, and tight lines.



I've been patiently watching the local bodies of water over the last seven days, looking to see if and when there'd be safe, fishable ice in the neighborhood. I started to thoroughly enjoy ice fishing last year, and this year I'm hoping to take it to another level and catch some big fish through the ice. I also intend to start selectively keeping perch, bluegills, and crappie. I don't do this much in the summer because most of my local fishing travel is done via bike, and I like to be out for hours. Not the best scenario for bringing fish home to eat. But with cold weather I can carry fish on my person much more readily. Basically, I've been very much looking forward to this ice season, which has never been the case any other year I'd ever fished.

Today I found safe ice. It was beautiful, strong, clear ice well above my comfortability minimum 2 1/2". I am a tall and scrawny person, I weigh a lot less than average. For anybody else I wouldn't advocate anything less 3", as is the generally accepted safe thickness for a single person. What I didn't find were willing bass or bluegills. I also couldn't get to where I was sure they'd be because it was surrounded by sketchy ice where plants were through the surface. Always avoid these areas when the ice is new and less the 5 inches, the plants absorb heat and today it took one hit with the hatchet I was using to cut holes to break through that stuff... put both feet on that and you're going in even though right next to it is perfectly safe ice. This is why carrying a spud bar and knowing how to use it really is smart if you are a beginner like myself.




You may be noticing the bulk of the text so far in this post has nothing to do with the title. Now is where I get to that. I wasn't sure I'd find safe ice, so I came prepared with a backup plan. Or at least I thought I came prepared. There are a fair number of brook trout streams in close proximity to the places I was checking, if I failed to find and catch any fish through the ice I could switch gears and go for brook trout. When it became clear I wasn't going to be getting my first fish of the season on the hard water I payed a visit to a particularly small brook trout stream on the way home. I hiked into the ravine and began rigging up only to find that I had left the reel at home. Without skipping a beat I pulled 7 feet of line off my spinning reel, tied it to the tip of my rod, stuck a jig style Green Weenie on the end, and went about fishing with very little concern as to how well it would work. You see, I've done this before intentionally to see how far I could "dumb down" my gear. I've used a trimmed maple sappling to fish a small stream before. I've also learned to cast a fly line without use of a rod, just carrying a reel in my pocket and using my arm to shoot the line into tight spots. I caught brook trout doing so. And did I catch fish today using a 7' 4lb mono leader clinched to the tip of my 3wt?

Of course I did.


The takeaway of this, as the title suggests, to keep things stupid simple. Complexity, in general, is more prone to fault, especially in small stream fishing. You certainly don't have to go to the extent of whittling down a sapling to use as a rod or learning to cast effectively without one. But you will probably have a better experience doing this type of angling if you keep your tackle simple. I regularly carry a small but not limiting selection of flies, a short, light rod, a small, uncomplicated reel, one leader on the spool, another in my bag, and one or two spools of tippet... that and whatever other non-fishing-specific necessities I must bring when fishing small water. I often don't bother with waders. I am less likely to loose things, less likely to break expensive equipment, and my bag is comfortably light so I can maneuver very easily.
And that's that.
Keep things right at the edge of being stupidly simple.

17 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks. I learned to importance of simplicity from some of the best though, so it's not quite my style... call it BRK TRT's style.

      Delete
  2. Not for me. I enjoy the total immersion in fly fishing, as much as catching a fish. That's why I fish bamboo rods, silk lines, skeleton reels and classic patterns which I tie as close to the original recipe as I can. Not for everyone but the way I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do realize that those things are nearly the epitome of simplicity and only a tiny fraction of what is the totality of fly fishing, right? To totally immerse yourself in fly fishing you must experience those things, yes, but not exclusively those things.

      Delete
    2. As my former neighbors in PA would say "Tis a gift to be simple".

      Delete
  3. Your wry sense of humor and a light touch put today's blog in the category of "teachable moment" for a wide range of readers. Glad to know you practice safety on the ice, especially when you are on a solo adventure. No ice here, altho the heat pump changed over from A.C. to warm air during the night. See you later, alligator!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank.
      I am very much looking forward to being down there again.

      Delete
  4. New follower and new-ish fly fisher, very much enjoying your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saw skate tracks on my local little lake yesterday even though there was still open water at the far end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though I can't say this is certainly the situation it is very possible to have safe ice on one end of a body of water and no ice at all on the other, especially because the north end of a lake warms up more during the day if it is sunny. Of course a lot of skaters tend not to test how safe the ice is to the degree that I'd consider reasonable....

      Delete
  6. I am all for keeping it simple, same as you RM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes complexity can't be avoided, which is why I think it should be avoided everywhere else!

      Delete
  7. Yep, keep it simple, but be prepared. The only good thing about ice fishing is that the fish stay fresh until you get home.
    Tie, fish, write, conserve and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is not the only good thing about ice fishing!

      Delete
  8. Things left out don't cause trouble. Simplify.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except flies. We need some of those... And some sort of leader. Although, a bent nail tied to a string and a red worm collected from under a log will catch trout too....

      Simplify within reason!

      Delete