Wednesday, March 20, 2019

A Little Bit of Class 1 Exploration

Josh Parsons invited me to fish a class 1 TMA on Monday. That was a pretty easy choice. This stream was one I have done pretty well in previously and have seen the potential for big fish in. It's also just a gorgeous place. Rolling hills, farmland, mixed forest... it's a New Englandy trout stream if there ever was one.



The outing started out with a surprise. Under the bridge, dangling my little sculpin, I hooked up to what I was pretty sure was going to be a big brown. Then I got a good look at it. 


This very not wild rainbow in a Class 1 WTMA is the second I've caught there since November. It's a different fish too, the other was substantially smaller. 

Fortunately I found a real fish not 15 minutes later. 


Kind of a weird think happened. I had my own personal very short bite window. I got two more browns, found some fish rising to extremely tiny midges that I apparently had nothing small enough to imitate (22's didn't work, wet or dry). I did what I hate doing though and pulled a streamer through the risers and had one of the prettiest browns I've ever seen take the fly. 



 A recent, very brief post of mine spoke to how hard it can be to capture what a fish really looks like through photography. My brief encounter with this handsome fish wasn't such a circumstance. 



A little further up I got my third and final wild brown, a long and lean female. Not long after that Josh and I headed downstream, only to find an exceptional lack of action and a stream bed gouged out by this previous year's extremely high water events. A lot of great structure that had been was gone, and apparently a lot of the fish have moved out of that water. It had also clearly been fished a substantial amount too, but I can see there being some potential here for habitat improvement, as long as it doesn't result in problems for the native species of special concern, slimy sculpin.





Though being a little unusual day it was a good one. I got to cover some parts of the stream that I hadn't previously and caught some exceptional fish. I also saw ways in which the stream could be improved to slow erosion and provide better cover for both trout and smaller native fish species. A time goes on I'd like to see some progress made in this watershed.

If you enjoy what I'm doing here, please share and comment. It is increasingly difficult to maintain this blog under dwindling readership. What best keeps me going so is knowing that I am engaging people and getting them interested in different aspects of fly fishing, the natural world, and art. Follow, like on Facebook, share wherever, comment wherever. Also, consider supporting me on Patreon (link at the top of the bar to the right of your screen, on web version). Every little bit is appreciated! Thank you to my Patrons, Erin and Christopher, for supporting this blog.

8 comments:

  1. The stream looks so familiar, but if it is what I'm thinking of I can't figure where the heck the rainbow got in.
    Substantial browns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Downstream, where other, much larger hatchery fish that like to go airborne also occasionally sneak in.

      Delete
  2. That is a beautiful stream and nice trout. The sun was shinning to. Well done.
    Tie, fish, write, conserve and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful orange spotted browns. Just incredible colors on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one fish was impressively colored, the other two very typical. The size of the last fish made up for her relative dullness, though.

      Delete
  4. Just found your blog listed on Small Stream Reflections and I'll be back. The river reminds me of some in North Yorkshire when I was much younger. Keep on posting. Kind regards, John

    ReplyDelete