Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Panicked Perch

Every winter, on a big, polluted, perch filled CT lake, perch run away from hypoxic waters in the main lake and try to survive near the mouths of tributaries. The result is impressive schools of fish in small water really not doing a whole lot of anything except slowly wasting away. I found that these fish could be caught, and that as things slowly warmed up in the spring they could be caught on dry flies at times, and at other times bigger yellow perch were present. It's kind of fun, mostly just to see so many fish packed into one place. Fishing for them has gotten less fun because it's just too predictable. I still go do it sometimes because in late winter I'm basically just waiting for those days when I can go out and catch a whole bunch of different fish again, and those perch provide a quick and briefly satisfying fix. This winter I haven't needed that kind of fix, right up until the other day. It had been an awfully long while since I'd caught something other than a salmonid and I knew the snow was coming. So I went and messed with the perch.





I can't lie, this snow has got me down. I was loving it hiking around until 2:00 a.m. during the storm, tracking fox, deer, grouse, coyote, and bobcat, but now that it's all on the ground and it's really could again... I want it gone. This is going to be a slow week in terms of fishing and brutal in terms of work, but the weekend should improve things. I hope.

If you enjoy what I'm doing here, please share and comment. It is increasingly difficult to maintain this blog under dwindling readership. What best keeps me going so is knowing that I am engaging people and getting them interested in different aspects of fly fishing, the natural world, and art. Follow, like on Facebook, share wherever, comment wherever. Also, consider supporting me on Patreon (link at the top of the bar to the right of your screen, on web version). Every little bit is appreciated! Thank you to my only Patron, Erin, for supporting this blog. 

9 comments:

  1. WOW, they were grouped up at the mouth of the creek. I to am tired of the cold temps and snow. We have had enough! The weekend is going to bring improvements.
    Tie, fish, write, conserve and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fine with the cold, I'm fine with the snow, I just hate March and the often mediocre fishing opportunities in this state this time of year.

      Delete
  2. Great pics looking down over those perch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing schools of perch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been desensitized... I'm so used to it it's just not impressive to me anymore.

      Delete
  4. If they are over what 8 inches? You can eat them too.or is that section closed right now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have little interest in eating fish that have been under extreme stress all winter and have eaten almost nothing. A lot of them are growing fungus, many are EXTREMELY skinny. I kept some in the past but not to eat.

      Delete
    2. New England Bonefish then. Except not so sporting.

      Delete