Sunday, March 10, 2019

The Moment

There are moments in fishing that have the ability to change the success and vibe of the day completely. Those moments are what those of us who are totally obsessed live for. For me, the ultimate in fishing, the biggest high, is casting to an actively feeding, visible fish, with a fly rod. Whether it's a mudding carp, a striped bass working along a beach lip, a tailing redfish, a darter tucked against a rock in a fast riffle, or a rising trout... species, size, water type doesn't matter. I'm pitting my abilities as an angler against a fish that I can see. I can watch its reactions. Observe its body language. If it chooses to eat  the fly I can see how it goes about it, and how its take corresponds what I can feel with the line and rod. I get the most data out of any interaction with a fish out of sight casting to one with a fly. And, oftentimes, I need not to be the one with the rod in hand to get a great experience. That was the case yesterday when an unexpected scenario made the day for Mike Andrews and myself.


We started the morning on a TMA looking to beat up some stockers. In fact, the trucks had been there this week, and, as evidenced by the footprints in the snow, so had some anglers. The fish had only been in a little while and had clearly taken a beating... a lot of them had lock-jaw. We only got a handful. One of Mike's, though, was a giant broodstock brookie.


We decided to end our morning on a small stream with trout that had actually been born there. We worked upstream, picking the pockets and poking the log jams, with no luck. As I turned the last corner though, I spotted those tell-tail rings on the surface of a great looking pool. Did something fall into the water, or had a trout risen. I didn't have to watch very long to get my answer. Not only was there a trout rising, there were four trout rising. Midges were hatching, it was pretty clear that this was what the fish were moving for. I could see a couple of them in the water, dark shadows over the light sand bottom. Aside from rising they were darting left and right, clearly taking pupa. These fish were on the feed, big time. I didn't make a cast. This hadn't been the plan, I didn't even have a single nymph on me, let alone a Syl's Midge or a Griffith's Gnat. I had plenty of streamers as big as a couple of these fish though. 

Two slightly staggered rises.
I shouted downstream to Mike. We assessed the situation. Like I said, I only streamers. I'm not one to throw a streamer at an actively rising fish. Mike didn't have any proper dry flies either. Looking in his nymph box though, I saw something without a bead: flymphs! That could work, maybe. They were large, for sure, but small stream wild trout are only occasionally very selective. Mike dressed the fly and started to work into position to make the cast. I stayed back and relayed the position of the fish that I could see best, which was the one furthest down the pool. Lining the fish was a concern, but I thought it was possible the fish would react to the fly hitting the surface, even if it were not up-drift from it. This is generally the case in warmer times, but we were in uncharted territory. I had never come across a substantial rise in this stream, let alone in March. I wasn't certain how they'd react. 


The bottom fish didn't at all react to the first presentations, which were down drift from it. As Mike adjusted position slightly, I saw that fish move upstream. We held off for a bit and made sure the fish that had remained in position continued to rise. They did, fortunately.







Mike had an idea. He tied on a dropper, a sz. 22 midge. When he got the right cast, it took no more time than for the nymph to reach its depth than for the flymph fished dry to drop defiantly. I watched the fish move, I watched the fly disappear, then I lifted my camera again. I'm glad I did, because I was in the perfect spot to capture the moment.






Though the fish fought valiantly, in a short time it was in the net. A gorgeous, fat wild brown. That made the trip, for both of us. We saw feeding fish, we planned our approach, and Mike finished the job perfectly. That was awesome.


I should probably have gotten out today on my part time home water. The conditions were gross but ideal. I'll probably regret that move. Tomorrow though, I'm going on an adventure. The late winter saltwater fish hunt will continue.

If you enjoy what I'm doing here, please share and comment. It is increasingly difficult to maintain this blog under dwindling readership. What best keeps me going so is knowing that I am engaging people and getting them interested in different aspects of fly fishing, the natural world, and art. Follow, like on Facebook, share wherever, comment wherever. Also, consider supporting me on Patreon (link at the top of the bar to the right of your screen, on web version). Every little bit is appreciated! Thank you to my only Patron, Erin, for supporting this blog. 

4 comments:

  1. Well done improvising to get that leaper to hit. Beautiful pictures and great report.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was was exciting! Great description and photos. It sure pays to observe the water.
    Tie, fish, write, conserve and photo on...

    ReplyDelete