Saturday, November 9, 2019

A Redfin Pickerel Mission (from back in July)

This is very late because it is. 
Rather, this is very late because I intended to but didn't fit it into the lineup with all the Maine, New Hampshire, and  other summer stuff that I prioritized, but have decided to write it now for the sake of diversity. Most of what I've done fishing wise in the last week is brook trout and striped bass. I like to use this blog to promote the awareness of less popular species, and since brook trout and striped bass are not remotely unpopular, I'll throw back to a mission to get a redfin pickerel before getting back to that stuff.

Redfin pickerel is the one species of fish I actually frequently get asked for help over. Before I was even really as up-front with my life listing endeavors I got the occasional email inquiry regarding the species (more accurately the subspecies, American pickerel is the higher classification.) I offer up what little I actually know whaen asked though I do consistently catch the species they often throw me for a loop. They are hyper aware of human presence. Though they may not appear to spook if you can see them they can see you and they probably aren't going to eat. They're supposed to be fully diurnal and yet I've now caught more than one while night fishing for trout. Their frequent preference of water just inches deep doesn't help either. Redfin pickerel are one nutty, charismatic little fish. So I do hat I can when someone asks but it's easier to show than to just tell. So when fellow lifelister Brad Rasmussen (Fish Finding) told me he was planning a trip to Southern New England and wanted to target redfin pickerel, I was quick to offer to show him the ropes on one of my local waters. I enjoy sharing this goofy little species with others. That was sometime in February I think. 
Fast forward to this July and I was meeting my new friends Brad and his girlfriend Alex near a redfin stream after they'd driven down from Quebec. Though this wasn't the only fish they'd be after on the trip, I really didn't want it to be an "everything but" outing, which it often can be here. 


It seems everything from white perch to brown bullheads can find your presentation before a redfin does in these waters, and that was almost what happened this time. It's also typically the case that if you are after any lifer, even an easy one, the first one comes harder then it ever should. Alex had never caught a redbreast sunfish, and the first hole we fished is typically just brimming with them. Of course she caught like a dozen bluegills instead. I rarely catch bluegills there. Neither Brad nor I got a redbreast out of that hole either. I hooked a snapping turtle, then a brown bullhead which I was happy with. Alex did end up getting a lifer out of that hole, but it was a largemouth bass of all things.

Brown bullhead, Ameiurus nebulosus
 Downstream we went in search of the primary target. And find them we did, though we went through all the trials and tribulations of redfin fishing. Spooked fish, fish in water to shallow effectively fish to at a distance, even one hooked and  quickly lost. But eventually we found one that was willing, one that slammed Brad's tiny jig repeatedly, got hooked, stayed hooked, then didn't escape after the hook was out. Mission success.

Esox americanus americanus


Not long after, Alex got her lifer redbreast sunfish as well.

Lepomis auritus
So I was probably as relieved if not more so than Brad. I would have been really bummed out if I hadn't gotten them on a redfin! I'd also recommended a few saltwater spots that could produce a number of other lifers, and they ended up finding something in one of them I never had. Check out Brad's post about the trip here.

Until next time.
Fish for the love of fish.
Fish for the love of places fish live.
Fish for you.


Thank you to my Patrons; Erin, David, john, Elizabeth, Chris, Brandon, and Christopher, for supporting this blog on Patreon.

5 comments:

  1. Really appreciate your help man! Can't wait for the next trip to CT, or for you to make your way to QC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The little redfin pickerel almost immediately became one of my most favourite fishes.
    But my first encounter was somewhat surprising, considering their shyness. In every other way though, it was typical.
    End of summer? Check.
    Very low flow? Check.
    In extremely shallow water? Check?
    Muddy bottom? Check.
    However, it was the first ever outing of my daughter's fishing club. There were about 6 of them, and we got to the spot on the river where I had enjoyed trout fishing in the early summer. They all went down to a little pool under a deadfall. I was back at the car getting ready to do my own trout fishing farther up. 5 minutes go by of futzing with gear (you know how that goes) and there's commotion from over there. So I go down the path and whaddyaknow, they've caught multiple little pickerel of a type I'd never seen before!

    I went back the next weekend and managed to repeat the endeavor on my fly tackle in the same location. Of course they had been using little grub twirlytails to great effect that first day.

    They act like any other esox---rushing out from the bank leaving a wake and grabbing the streamer--just all miniaturized, Love these fish!


    I wrote about them and that trip in my own journal:
    https://cargocultfishing.blogspot.com/2017/09/the-redfin-pickerel.html
    https://cargocultfishing.blogspot.com/2017/10/the-long-skinny-fishes.html

    The color variations are also greatly enjoyable--from tan/rusty to green on their flanks.


    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those Redfin. That was the first fish I caught in CT. Thank you!
    Tie, fish, write, conserve and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was actually jut a juvenile chain pickerel. I'm not sure what happened to them in that little mill pond though, they're all gone.

      Delete