Saturday, November 23, 2019

The Challenge

Give me a stream brushed in from the banks and above.


Or give me a shoreline swept by a storm, with crashing waves and stinging rain in a strong southwest wind.


Give me a large wild trout sipping with slow deliberation.


Send in the blackest and coldest of nights.



Tell me there's a fish that just can't be caught on the fly.


Or show me one that grows no more than a few inches long.


It's these things that motivate me. These things keep me at the vice for hours every night, or in bed unable to sleep, pondering a way. It's the challenge that makes fishing worthwhile. Don't chase reports or beg for spots. Don't only do what you already know will work. Be willing to fail, practice hard, and most importantly, learn from everything.


Thank you to my Patrons; Erin, David, john, Elizabeth, Chris, Brandon, and Christopher, for supporting this blog on Patreon.

3 comments:

  1. Sitting here on the edge of our small lake, watching a cormorant doing what nature impels him to do, and reading what nature impels you to do....grateful for glimpses of each!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, that's what we do. Good for the soul.
    Tie, fish, write, conserve and photo on...

    ReplyDelete