Friday, July 24, 2020

Bricks, Heroin, and Smallmouth Bass

There's something about urban fishing that I love. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, as I'd tell most people I love the wilderness, and being as far from other people as possible is a priority. Yet, I get a special sort of pleasure from pulling a brown trout out from behind a shopping cart, or sight casting a carp in a concrete lined canal. As such, I was perfectly comfortable walking the streets of a Massachusetts mill town with Noah and our other friend, also named Noah, fishing the sort of places where a fly rod is viewed by passers by as about as out of place as would be a man riding a camel.


We were looking for carp, but things were a little off and we weren't finding them with any regularity. We covered ground, searching those large cyprinids, but found some remarkably colored sunfishes instead.

Lepomis gibbosus
 The redbreast sunfish below is unquestionably one of the prettiest fish I have ever caught. Funny, the lowly sunfish family is responsible for some of the most visually stunning fish specimens I've laid eyes on. This natural painting was in striking contrast to the environment it was living in.
Lepomis auritus

Lepomis auritus x Lepomis macrochirus
Soon the pattern became clear, this was going to be a bass and panfish day, not a carp day. We followed an arm of the canal down to a river, and walked the walls down river looking for a way down onto the banks so we could fish what looked like some fantastic smallmouth water. Next to a homeless encampment, we found a way down. And indeed it was fantastic smallmouth water. 





Unexpectedly it was also good crappie water, some of the best I'd ever fished. We found a couple pockets of slab crappies, a few of them even worth measuring. For a little while I was on a roll, landing slab crappie after slab crappie, the biggest being a hair over 14 inches. They were fighting pretty hard for crappies too, and I've caught black crappies over 16 inches so I've got a bit of experience in the slab department. These were impressive fish. 





Though the bass we were catching weren't "slabs" really, they weren't bad in average size. I'm used to stream smallmouth averaging eight inches. We've got some good ones in some of the rivers near where I live, but often to get quantity you have to sacrifice quality and vice versa. This was more on par with the Housatonic summer smallmouth fishery, if not a little better. Stripping a woolly bugger or twitching a jig through shadow lines, pool tailouts, back eddies, and pockets produced strike after strike. My favorite catch wasn't even the biggest, it was a bass of about 11 inches in a hard to reach back eddy. I had to wade into risky territory to make my cast and hold the rod high to get any sort of a drift. And the drift I got wasn't long but it was long enough, my fly got hammered. The fish proceeded to dive straight into the fast water and bounce from rock to rock, forcing me to really work to land him. Anyone that fishes moving water smallmouth knows, these fish have heart. 




We worked our way back downstream to where we'd entered but continued to catch fish it that water we'd already covered. In fact we got into some of the fastest action right where we'd gotten down to the river, near the raccoon carcass and the heroi... er... "insulin" needles.




Like I said, there's something about urban fishing... I don't quite know what. Perhaps its the juxtaposition. Those stunning redbreast sunfish, giant crappies, and powerful smallmouth bass, living in the shadow of mills and homeless camps, next to heroin needles and shopping carts. It's interesting. And a little sketchy at times. But the luster, if you could call it that, has never diminished. I'm forever a grunge city fisherman as much as I am a wilderness angler.


There was a raccoon peeking out of there before I got the camera out.
Until next time,
Fish for the love of fish.
Fish for the love of places fish live.
Fish for you.
And stay safe and healthy.



Thank you to my Patrons; Erin, David, John, Elizabeth, Brandon, Christopher, Shawn, Mike, Sara, Leo, and Franky for supporting this blog on Patreon. 


9 comments:

  1. That's some crazy cool fishing. I live a half mile through the woods from one of those North Eastern rivers that's trying to comeback... The section near me has a trib with browns and brookies (all wild), making me think the main river may hold some big browns... The main river also has bass, perch, sunnies, some carp... And the biggest fall fish I've ever seen.

    While the section near me is mostly wooded, and occasionally you have the company of a person riding a quad or dirt bike, maybe some high school kids sneaking beer, kids playing air soft and an occasional homeless person camping out... Just a couple miles upstream you would be in water similar to what this post shows - and which made me feel a sense of companionship on this trip you took. I know the river near me is about 30-40 miles from where you were (assumption from the description and past blogs of yours)... But your description couldnt fit it more.

    A muffler, old tire, shopping cart, some building supplies etc form nice cover... access sometimes is sketchy and through industrial areas etc.

    It's the opposite of the wilderness... But sparks a little bit of adventure from a different corner of the mind. And the fishing can be amazing.

    Thanks for bringing us with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty cool what live does in spite of our best efforts.

      Delete
  2. Very interesting adventure. I can only imagine the chemical content of those fish. I am surprised at their size.
    Tie, fish, write, conserve and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may not even be quite as bad as some of the places I fish locally.

      Delete
  3. Rowan
    Wow, what a combo of warm-water fish----I just wonder if the water is clean enough to eat any that you landed. Did you see anyone else fishing? I would have to pay another visit to this place in the future. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the typical New England warm water assortment, minus a few other regular players.
      There were other people out fishing bait.

      Delete
  4. Nice adventure!
    Urban fishing is what I grew up doing in Europe. It is different and really enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rowan, your blog posts continue to grow exponentially. I am happy to see a true connection in my life gain fruition through yours. In other words thank you.

    -M

    ReplyDelete