Friday, July 3, 2020

Three Trophies in 30 Minutes

Sometimes a short, chaotic bite window defines an otherwise slow day and makes it feel like fishing action was consistent even when it wasn't. For this to happen the fish caught in that short window typically have to be pretty good. This is about one such window, when between the two of us Noah and I caught three trophy fish of three different species back to back to back.

May 22nd was a bluebird sky day with an at times obnoxious south wind and, by all accounts, we did not get on the water early enough. But after farting around and taking our time getting to our planned target area, I laid a cast with a fly I have dubbed "The Christmas Ornament" up next two a log jam and in three strips watched a thick fish inhale it. I strip set hard, and, not having had a great look at the fish, assumed it was a pike. It soon went airborne and was very clearly... not. It was smallmouth, a very big smallmouth. One of the largest I'd ever hooked on the fly. Things got very tense, and even on my beefy ten weight this bass gave the typical smallmouth fight. Bronze bass are defiant, they do not like to come to hand. But, to make my many hours this spring targeting smallmouth without catching any big ones myself sting a little bit less, Noah got her in the net. She taped a little over 19 inches and was soooo thick. It'd been year since I last caught a smallmouth this substantial and I really shouldn't let it be that long before I get another... because damn are they ever great fish!



Up the next bend Noah saw another big smallmouth come up on his jig and missed it. We barely had time to react to that when, while looking down, I felt my line come tight. I strip set into another clearly large fish on the Christmas Ornament. It was in deep water off a clay bank drop off so I again wasn't sure what I was tied into, but it soon showed itself to be a very stout pike. Not long at all, really, but very girthy. Trophy fish number two was soon in the boat. 


That pike was on the inside of the bend.... on the outside, just minutes later, Noah hooked up on a spinner bait. The third and final trophy fish of the streak, a large bowfin, kicked Noah's ass both in the water and in the boat. Bowfin, being air breathers, don't get tired simply from being out of the water for a short time. Fortunately it sat still just long enough for me to get a couple quick shots.


We fished for hours more, and we didn't stop catching fish, but those three fish, in half an hour's time, defined the day. Had they been spread out over the duration of the day the day may actually have felt slower. It's interesting how these things work.
Until next time,
Fish for the love of fish.
Fish for the love of places fish live.
Fish for you.
And stay safe and healthy.



Thank you to my Patrons; Erin, David, John, Elizabeth, Brandon, Christopher, Shawn, Mike, Sara, Leo, and Franky for supporting this blog on Patreon. 

2 comments:

  1. What a great Pike and that Smallmouth wooooweee. Wish we had those catches on video. Way-to-go guys. You made my day.
    Tie, fish, write, conserve and photo on...

    ReplyDelete