Wednesday, February 24, 2016

A Good Couple of Catch Free Days

Yesterday and today are both no-fishing days, but still excellent. Yesterday I went with a few friends to hear Steve Gephard's talk on river herring. The four of us are planning on monitoring one of our local streams throughout the run. Not a problem for me, I'll be trying to add both herring species to my life list and hunting for sea run brown trout and salmon in that stream from March into June. Herring, though not a particularly popular fish, are awesome. At one time they wold flood the tidal waters of CT in biblical numbers, providing nutrients for the streams and food for numerous predators. Also, great angling opportunities: it was the herring that used to draw big striped bass to the base of Leeseville Dam and even into smaller creeks like the Moodus River.

Today is once again a big help... tons of rain! The rivers were finally up to an good level, and now this rain will do what spring rain should do. High water will help clean out fallen branches and reform structure. Rain is excellent.


4 comments:

  1. Glad you are going to monitor the Herring. Rain, more rain and snow tomorrow. Yep, the streams will be flushed. Just what nature ordered. WTG!
    Tie, fish, write and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being born in Chicago, I was raised on herring. While I no longer have the taste for them, I did enjoy them as a child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had them, not much of a fish eater anyway. ;)

      Delete