Sunday, February 21, 2016

Clear Water and Pretty Fish

I spent a couple of hours today at the stretch of creek I fished with the New Year's Day crew. I was hoping that the warm temperatures (the water was getting close to 40 finally) would convince the brook trout to rise. Unfortunately there wasn't much insect activity, but a few small grey mayflies were hanging out on the shoreline. I didn't see any rises but stubbornly stuck with the dry flies. An ant got no reaction, a caddis didn't work, but eventually I got a take on the Bomber. The pool was flat and slow, and maybe three feet deep. The fish took with a gentle dimple rise, and I was not expecting it to have much size but was presently surprised when it began to battle. It was a stunning brooky, and to catch anything like it on a dry fly in February is wonderful.



From that point on it was difficult fishing. I worked the pools and riffles with very little action. I changed to a Something or Other wet fly, then to a Green Weenie, and that got eaten eventually.

I came to a place where the stream divides into a series of different channels, and where the two bellow come together was very deep and fishy looking. I let cast the line up the small channel and let the dueling currents pull it to the bottom, where the Green Weenie got weenied by a good fish. It was quickly apparent, however, that it was a fall fish. That's fine by me, he actually fought harder than the brooky, jumping twice and running hard.



With the water so perfectly clear I think the fish were a bit shadow shy today. The warm weather has done it's worst on the ice, and tomorrow may well be a pickerel or carp outing, depending on the wind.

10 comments:

  1. A beautiful, healthy looking brook trout along with a nice fall fish. I have caught a few fall fish in the past and find they fight real well too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,
      Fall fish are great, one of my life goals is to get a fall fish over 20 inches on a fly.

      Delete
  2. Even with the warmer temps I'm finding lots of shy fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think they've quite put the feed bag on again.

      Delete

  3. Nice looking Brookie!! Good work Rowan. I am hoping to get out soon myself, hopeful that the recent warmer weather helps to stimulate the fish!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,
      It should have improved their mood a bit.

      Delete
  4. The water looks great and I enjoyed that adventure! The Brookie looks good. It will get better when the hatches start.
    Tie, fish, write and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,
      I can't wait for those hatches!

      Delete
  5. RM
    Looks like you were fishing super clear water most of the time--beautiful trout--were you wading or bank fishing? Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,
      Very clear! I waded when I wasn't concerned about sending ripples that cold spook the fish, but for the long shallow sections I tried to fish from the bank.

      Delete