Monday, February 1, 2016

February's First Fish, and a One Year Dry Fly Streak

It was too nice not to fish today. I went out in shorts and a light jacket, fished the stream a half a mile from home, and caught a bunch of little wild brook trout. I fished the pocket water and plunge pools with an Ausable Ugly, and the slow glides with either a Black Gnat or a Royal Wulff. I got one on the Gnat and two on the Wulff so that brings me to a milestone... twelve consecutive months during which I caught trout or char on dry flies. But the Ugly was once again a killer. In one plunge pool I hooked eight fish and landed six. That is about as many as I normally catch in the whole stretch!





I think I'm going to be out tomorrow, but Wednesday is bringing some rain and that will mean plenty of water to keep the streams good and full for a while!

4 comments:

  1. Being able to wear shorts on the first day of Feb. is great. Our groundhog says early Spring, so get ready. It was 25 this morning, but going up to 51. Nice catches on the home water. They have such good color. Hope you get some rain.
    Tie, fish, write and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't need a rodent to tell me that it is going to be a warm couple of months! The rain is coming too.

      Delete
  2. Rowan - Congrats! It can be done if you have the ability to get out when the conditions are right. I had a streak going for a couple years until last Feb when everything was iced over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Fortunately I also have some very good streams close to my home.

      Delete