Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Home Water Monday Evening

I have two favorite time periods to fish my home water: November through December and April Through June. Those are the times when the biggest fish can be caught and the best hatches and biomass can be experienced- big nymphs, hatching mayflies and stoneflies, and salmon par. Back when I started fishing this stream I would catch a mid to upper teens wild or holdover every week during those times of year, but things have changed in 6 years. It is still wonderful fishing, and every now and then if I deem them worthy I will show a friend the works. Yesterday Kirk and I went for a short hike up the river. We caught some nice fish, which is saying something since we were fishing with all the patience and care of a pair of spooked moose. There were even a couple of moments when we doubled up.


The fish you see bellow is one I caught a while ago in the same hold. I love seeing familiar faces, and considering the size of the stream and the thousands of fish I have caught out of it I have rarely ever caught the same one twice in the same year, except for stockers. I would love to know what the population density of the stream is, I'm sure it's well over 1,000 per mile.




8 comments:

  1. What a beautiful stream. You are lucky to have such a one to call your home stream, that is for sure. Beautiful browns living in it. Regards, Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Looking home waters and wild brown!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had some rain, good for the stream health. I've seen fish populations change depending on the eco system from year to year. That is a beauty of a stream!
    Tie, fish, write and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got a little the next day but still not enough.

      Delete
  4. Echoing what everyone else said, that's some really pretty water. No wonder the trout love it.

    ReplyDelete