Saturday, November 16, 2013

Weird Small Stream Fish

Today I had plans, but they were canceled. So I decided to go fishing. I picked up a 4 weight and hit the bridge pool I mentioned in a post last week. I tied on a weighty nymph and used the same method that had worked so well under similar conditions. I didn't catch a trout. But I did catch some fish. If you ask me, the first has no business being in this small stream. Not that his presence is destructive. It is just exceptionally unusual to find him in a cold water freestone stream with only a few deep pools. The first fish to eat the fly was, of all things, a crappie.


I continued fishing and caught a little bluegill. I the fished the head of the pool and caught a fallfish and spooked up a big trout that saw my nymph snag a leaf and drag it out of the water. I then headed upstream to a long stretch that I know is popular with spawning trout. I found this redd and watched the trout that occupied it until they scrambled around to the other side when I moved to grab my camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment